New coop, dirt floor in NY?

N8than

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 9, 2018
Upstate New York
I like in Upstate NY and I am working on a new design for my coop. My current coop is about 5 years old and I built it quick and on a budget. I used TPO roofing for the floor and it has mostly been great to clean up after, though now I am wondering if I need it. I am in a fairly sandy area and I was thinking about building the coop 2' below grade with no floor. My thought on this is warmer in the winter (our frost line is 4') and cooler in the summer based on the grounds temperature. We have 32 laying hens and they sure like to poop. With the natural sand bottom I thought it would be faster/easier to clean and can also go over the floor with more sand. Also I have my waterer in the coop and there are some regular drips when they are all using it. With a dirt floor it would dry faster and create less of a mess. I plan to use 1/2" 4'x10' sheets of cement sheet siding and running it 2' below grade to keep pests out. I also plan to build at least a 12" overhang on all sides to keep water away from the coop. I own a construction company so sourcing materials is not difficult, just looking for some great ideas that will last a while. Thank you!

My concern would be drainage. I know you said you have sandy soil, but does it ever get muddy in the winter or during heavy rains? If you're sure it would stay very dry then it'd be fine, but excess moisture in the coop can be dangerous.

My concern would be drainage. I know you said you have sandy soil, but does it ever get muddy in the winter or during heavy rains? If you're sure it would stay very dry then it'd be fine, but excess moisture in the coop can be dangerous.
Yea that makes sense. Im planning that the walls will block a lot and also having a large overhang. Maybe even some gutters to make sure. Thanks!

Take into count the way our weather is shifting up here lately. So plan for drainage and more winds. We're you going to have steps up and out?
Yes, i plan to make it for full walk in (same as our current one). I currently have a ridge vent, though mice have made a nice home there (and a mess), so i will do gable end vents next. I usually use Zip tape around windows and penetrations to help cut down on wind. Havent noticed a problem with wind before. I certainly think i need to focus more than i thought on drainage.

Yes, i plan to make it for full walk in (same as our current one). I currently have a ridge vent, though mice have made a nice home there (and a mess), so i will do gable end vents next. I usually use Zip tape around windows and penetrations to help cut down on wind. Havent noticed a problem with wind before. I certainly think i need to focus more than i thought on drainage.
I ended up with dirt floor on grade and slightly regret that I didn’t do what you are planning. Minor point but I think it would also be more protected from digging predators.
Mine has ended up very dry under the roof with a big overhang and gutters.
I actually end up turning the hose on it inside sometimes as it encourages worms etc to break down all the poop and bedding.
You could also do a French drain around the perimeter but I doubt that will be needed.

I ended up with dirt floor on grade and slightly regret that I didn’t do what you are planning. Minor point but I think it would also be more protected from digging predators.
Mine has ended up very dry under the roof with a big overhang and gutters.
I actually end up turning the hose on it inside sometimes as it encourages worms etc to break down all the poop and bedding.
You could also do a French drain around the perimeter but I doubt that will be needed.
That is a really good point about the worms to help break things down, thanks!

I have an old coop... very old, and it has a dirt floor... and I love it! The coop sets on a grade, and is very dry...(unless I drop the waterer...UGH)
The pros is it is very easy to clean. I dont use any bedding on the floor, just rake it out! The cons.... its very dusty! but the biggest con is the rats. They can easily access the coop. Ive had to move to rat proof feeders... (they are wonderful) and my barn cats were chicken raised...LOL.... so they help to keep the population down.
To me, other than the vermin, I can handle the dirt.
If I was to build a coop, would I build it with a floor...... I think I would. Once or twice a year, the husband comes to the coop with his little tiller.... turns the soil, good as new. I just rake on sunday afternoons.... done.

I'm building a new coop, and it has a sandy dirt as a floor and is at the top of a hill. I believe that my chickens are going to be happy with or without a floor lol. I really like the idea of the worms 🪱 turning the poop into soil and it helping the trees and grass grow strong!

:) 😀

Back
Top Bottom