Need Help Choosing Parrot!!!!!!

I just had to chime in here...
big_smile.png
I would go for the African Grey, most definitely. Try to find a young hand-fed baby, preferably of the opposite gender of yourself, so that would be a baby boy. In my experience, this helps with bonding, but not is not absolute necessary. Greys are excellent talkers and highly intelligent. Conures can be VERY loud.... and they will just for the fun of it. Many Conures can talk/mimic but prefer to just scream/squawk. They tend to be kinda independent....IMO.

I'm sure, you have read in your research, having a parrot is a lot like having a child. Adequate space and entertainment is essential when you are not there. All Parrots are chewers, so please keep that in mind. I only allow my birds out when I I can interact with them. Our play area is "baby-proofed"...lol No ceiling fans on, no cords exposed,....you get the idea. I tend to be a little obsessive about their safety.
tongue.png

Another suggestion is look at the rescue places here in GA. A Google search will pull up several for you. These folks know what they are doing and can help you make the right selection. In this kind of situation, the bird has a chance to pick you.
ya.gif
and the reward of giving a baby another chance is just.....awesome! You might even wind up with a soul mate you did not expect. (Cockatoo, Macaw....)

I am just tickled you have this interest! When you find your perfect match, you won't be able to remember what life was like before..
love.gif

Copied from other post.

Sparky, I think you will do just fine! You sound like a very intelligent young woman. Keep doing your research and you will become an "expert" :eek:) Being a retired vet myself, it sounds like you have what it takes. Avian medicine is a whole different ball game....go for it! Quailsong brought up some really good points and I appreciate your commitment.

I inherited my Great Grand Mothers Grey( Lovie) when she passed in 1990. She was 98. Other family members thought she had him 22-25 years. Both of my children grew up with him. I think they helped him... with his grief, and I know he helped my daughter learn to talk! He was quite a trip! lol He passed away 3 years ago, but not before, he got to teach my Grand Daughter a few choice words!! :eek:)

I just had to chime in here...
big_smile.png
I would go for the African Grey, most definitely. Try to find a young hand-fed baby, preferably of the opposite gender of yourself, so that would be a baby boy. In my experience, this helps with bonding, but not is not absolute necessary. Greys are excellent talkers and highly intelligent. Conures can be VERY loud.... and they will just for the fun of it. Many Conures can talk/mimic but prefer to just scream/squawk. They tend to be kinda independent....IMO.

I'm sure, you have read in your research, having a parrot is a lot like having a child. Adequate space and entertainment is essential when you are not there. All Parrots are chewers, so please keep that in mind. I only allow my birds out when I I can interact with them. Our play area is "baby-proofed"...lol No ceiling fans on, no cords exposed,....you get the idea. I tend to be a little obsessive about their safety.
tongue.png

Another suggestion is look at the rescue places here in GA. A Google search will pull up several for you. These folks know what they are doing and can help you make the right selection. In this kind of situation, the bird has a chance to pick you.
ya.gif
and the reward of giving a baby another chance is just.....awesome! You might even wind up with a soul mate you did not expect. (Cockatoo, Macaw....)

I am just tickled you have this interest! When you find your perfect match, you won't be able to remember what life was like before..
love.gif

Copied from other post.

Sparky, I think you will do just fine! You sound like a very intelligent young woman. Keep doing your research and you will become an "expert" :eek:) Being a retired vet myself, it sounds like you have what it takes. Avian medicine is a whole different ball game....go for it! Quailsong brought up some really good points and I appreciate your commitment. I inherited my Great Grand Mothers Grey( Lovie) when she passed in 1990. She was 98. Other family members thought she had him 22-25 years. Both of my children grew up with him. I think they helped him... with his grief, and I know he helped my daughter learn to talk! He was quite a trip! lol He passed away 3 years ago, but not before, he got to teach my Grand Daughter a few choice words!! :eek:)
Thank you! My parents were originally only going to let me buy a bird at a maximum cost of about $200 to $300, but Greys seem to have such amazing personalities that I might be able to get one and pay them off if I'm lucky... I am most interested in birds with big personalities that u can keep for most of my life as family, and African Greys seem like a pretty good match :) I will do all I can to learn as much about the bird I get and make sure it's the happiest, healthiest bird on earth! My parents agreed to let whatever bird I get to have a big cage in the living room in which it will be able to come out and fly around the house 4 to 5 hours a day to get plenty of excersize, and I can contribute 2-3 hours of one-on-one personal time with the bird so I can bond and train it :D are African Greys noisy, and do they do well with families and friends if I socialize it from a young age? My dad said he'd love to take me to a bird rescue to pick out a bird if I find one I like there. But I have to wait a month until after I go off for an internship with my aunt (who is a vet) I'm so excited about getting a parrot and I hope I can spend many happy years to come with it!!! :D

Yay! The Greys I have been around are not really noisy per say, but they are very social birds. The more family and friends interact with him/her the happier all will be. Keep researching...I understand you want the baby to "bond" with you, so if all agree, you be the one to give give treats and extra special attention. You might want to invest in a free standing perch kept in your room, but his cage is in the living room. Also, since you have kitties....be aware most parrot type cages have wide spaced bars that a cat can reach in and snag a bird. Never underestimate a curious cat! For that matter...a curious bird with a hook beak! My Cockatiels are in a large parrot type cage. I have 4 indoor cats. I wrapped their cage in screen wire...like for windows. I have also taught my Tiels and Conures to meow when ever they see one of the cats. I know....sounds strange, but when any of us here the birds meowing, we go check on them! This training came in real handy when I had to babysit one of my daughters kitties.

Knowing you're interested in becoming a vet - knowing the work involved in schooling for that profession - knowing the time investment for a large bird such as a Grey.....and knowing you're not yet an experienced keeper - you might consider something a bit, um, smaller. Look into Quakers and Parrotlets - both smaller birds, both very personable, both much easier on a new owner! A grey will train you if you let it.

We have had our Parrotlet for going on 4yrs now. She is my son's bird - but because of his crazy schedule, she bonded to me (parent). It's heartbreaking for son, as son really, really wanted a bird to bond with him - but because he's at school most of the day, and I'm working from home - the bird sees me all day, not him. So therefore, she's bonded to me.

She is an incredible amount of work. Birds are flock animals, and you become their entire flock. So she talks to me all day (even if I'm in the bathroom), on the phone with customers, out in the yard taking care of our chicken flock.....she's attentive to what I'm doing. And if I'm stressed, she knows it and so is even MORE talkative! If I'm peaceful, so is she.

Why do I suggest these species? Generally not very expensive (in terms of birds - most go for about $200). Parrotlets are a whopping 3" tall, Quakers are about 5" tall. But she can holler if she wishes. The male parrotlets do mimic speech and learn phrases. Both genders of Quakers talk and talk better than a parrotlet. Yes, they are trainable (as all birds are) and can do stunts and routines for fun. She does them for fun when she's being coy and wants my attention. She's defensive of her cage, as are both species, so that makes having friends come a bit harder.

Because the birds are smaller sized, they need a good sized flight cage, but not an entire room! Our parrotlet's flight cage is about the size of a loveseat (2'w x 4'd x 2' high - on a stand so it's tabletop height). The Quakers I've known had cages about the same size. It's easier to fit in a room than a Grey's cage. Also, we have a smaller 'portable' cage that we take outside with us, in the kitchen with us (flight cage is in office area), to the garden...etc.

Quakers tend to excrete their poo sideways (need washable wallpaper near their cages). Parrotlets excrete downwards. Both are trainable to go in their home only. Our parrotlet is trained this way. And the Quakers I've known were too.

Check some youtube videos - just type in 'parrotlet' or 'quaker' and you'll see what their personalities are like. Parrotlets live about 20yrs (average is 9 in captivity due to household accidents), Quakers live a bit longer. But their smaller sizes make them more likely candidates for apartment living. It was hard to find apartments that would accept a large bird (most folks view Grey's as 'large birds' - I know, not accurate, but they don't know). Much like it's hard to find an apartment with a large breed dog (say St. Bernard). And as for noise level, the parrotlet is moderately loud. The Quaker is slightly louder.

Just be prepared for the bird to bond to someone other than you if you're not around all day. Waiting a few years might be a better option for you - harder, but in the long term, better. It's your choice.

Last edited:
Have a Budgie!! (Budgerigar) Its a kind of parrot thats very smart and my dad use to have one. He said it can live up to 50 years and is very cuddly, nice, smart, and beautiful. Great bird!!!!!!

Ok. Grays. Two types: Congo & timneh. Timneh are smaller, darker, more maroon tail. Congo are larger, light gray, red red tail. Congo is what you probably think of as an African gray. Congos tend to be on the temperamental side & will choose 1 person and 1 only. Congos talk (on average) at a year old. Timneh are more laid back, will allow others to handle them but will have a favorite person. They start talking at 6months. No where close to the price range it seems has been set (200-300. Congos- 1200. Timneh- 900. Rough estimate). A bird that is friendly/playful/can talk...PARROTLET!! I LOVE mine. I have had conures since I was 6 lol. (21 now). But my little little is 5 months and has a 10 word vocabulary thus far. He'll go to whoever. They do tend to be a bit on the nippy side, but with their size it's no big deal, haven't broke skin yet. The females rarely if ever talk & will be more nippy than males. They're 3inches tall, 28grams. Males run $200+, color depending. But since they're small...a cockatiel cage is awesome for them! Don't count them out due to size, on the inside they're a Moluccan cockatoo ;). Quakers are one of the top talking breeds, I had one a long while back. Super smart. Come in green or blue. Caiques are a good one too, I've heard nothing but good things on them. Are in $800 range since they are a little less common than most small/medium parrots. Amazons & cockatoos....wouldn't try it if it'll be your first bird. Amazons (like congos) are EXTREMELY one person bonders. And their hormonal times & moods are a pain. Cockatoos are neurotic, in my opinion. Pluck, bite, mood swings, hormones, ugh. And if you have a male & you get your monthly gift, they somehow know...and will attack. If you go macaw route, Hahn's would be the best. They're a "mini" macaw, large conure size. Goofballs, have a pretty good vocabulary. Macaws in general are more open to strangers/multiple people handling them. About the same as the timneh. Greencheek conures don't talk very well, but they are just SO much fun, makes up for it. My 3month old will follow my hand all fluffed and grumbling, get close, try and hide under my hand, then flip on his back. Then uses my fingers to push off of and scoot around on his back. Everyone should at least experience a greenie ;). Sun conures/jendays/nandays/bluecrowns are in the aritaga conure family. Sun is mostly yellow, super common in pet stores. Jendays are similar, but the wings are green. Nandays are green with black head. Blue crowns green w blue head. Nanday/blue crown I've never seen in person or handled. Out of the family, though, Blue Crowns will have the most extensive vocabulary (bird in the movie Paulie is a blue crown. Don't talk that well, but gives an idea of size). Jendays are loud & develop screaming habits easily. I have one, but I never give much advice based off her, basically a rescue. Very one person, attacks my bf if he hugs me or whatever. The thing I adore about her is her cuddle moods. If she wants attention bad, she'll jump from her cage to the bed and sleep on my pillow or burrow under the blankets with me. It's just how jendays seem to be lol. Suns are the same I'm guessing, but they are louder than jendays (I can hear mine from across an acre. Loud). Nandays are loud also. None (except blue crown) are known for talking. Mine will say "what" "hey hey" and "thank you", but its very hard to understand. Myer's parrots are medium/small. Quieter. Family friendly. About all I know on them. Senegals are touchy & need a certain amount of attention with no variation, they'll pluck otherwise. Pionus are supposed to be good also. Asiatics (ring neck, alexandrine, mustache) are flighty and need a lot daily interaction to stay tame, they revert to a feral state quickly, also can be divas. Around sun conure size, super adorable voice, talks clear and a lot.

NEVER put 2 birds in one cage (lovebirds included) unless you want to breed & not handle the birds. They will bond to the other bird strongly, especially if opposite sex. Plus if a parrot is egg bound (only lay when with a male!) it will die or cost a LOT for treatment/surgery. Find an avian vet before bringing any avian bubbas home.

ALWAYS ask if the bird is hand fed. Handle the bird prior to purchase. 90% of the time, birds at pet stores (pet smart etc) will be untame. Hand tame isn't the best either. Just means they'll step up & allow you to scratch their head, maybe. Try and buy young, especially since this will be a larger bird (maybe lol) and a first bird. By young, find a breeder (lots of research), and ask to come see the baby until it is weaned (if possible, might not be). If you get the bird right after weaning, it'll get used to you & yours faster. Don't hand feed yourself. Lot of complications.

Oh, and NO SEED DIET! Pellets, mainly. Seeds as treats once in a long while. Larger the bird, greater the risk for fatty liver disease from too many seeds. I also give mine dried fruits, fresh ones, etc. For pellets get "pretty bird", "zupreem", "Harrison's", & "lafebers". Personally, I feed pretty bird.

Google what foods/household things are fatally toxic to birds. Big list. Good luck!

I'm not sure which type of parrot would be best for you. I think the two you are looking at might be a couple of the more difficult choices.

I was wondering about college plans for you, too. Parrots can be very loud screamers and that can be a problem for renters. Large parrots have big voices. Of the smaller birds, I think conures are one of the loudest screamers, although it might also be that they are just more inclined to scream. I think their noisiness is one of the top reasons people get rid of them. Not all are, but it's a pretty common trait in them.

I have a grey and he is much more of a handful psychologically than many parrots. I am not the first person that owned him, so he came with many problems. He's also very much a one person bird, although not all are. Greys are also more dusty than most other types of parrots. They have a certain type of little feather that breaks down into a powder, like cockatoos also have. They are lovely to pet, but dust gets everywhere, constantly. It's a waxy type of dust, too.

Have you ever looked at the poicephalus parrots? They're nice birds. They interact with you, like other parrots do. I think they'd be quieter for you than the conures, in general. They don't have the dust of the greys, or the louder screams of a larger bird. I'm sure there are others that you might like, I just can't think of them right now. Definitely check out the pois, though.

I think you'll need to give your college housing some thought. A quieter bird shouldn't cause problems as a renter, but you'd still need to find a place that allows pets. I know nothing about dorm rules these days or if that's where you'd be living at first. Some parrots stay with the parents during the school year. Some parents refuse to take care of their children's pets and rehome them. I think you'll need to talk this over with your parents. Having a smaller, quieter parrot that gets along with the whole family is a good way to go, no matter what happens during college.

Hi. I highly recommend that you do not get an African grey. They are not a bird that would be happy only being out of its cage for a few hours. Also since you're not experienced with parrots, it could be a dangerous situation. I would go with the conure. My pineapple green cheek is pretty quiet for a parrot and does talk, give kisses, etc. However, I also have an 8 week old yellow side green cheek and she is not quiet at all. You won't know any of that until your bird is home. I also don't recommend buying one from a pet store. Often their prices are much higher and the baby aren't handled as much as a breeder. All conures require at least an 18 inch wide by 18 inch tall cage. The bigger the better. Fresh water twice a day, fresh fruit and veggies daily plus pellet food. The cage bottom should be cleaned daily with a entire cage cleaning once a week. A conure should never need a beak trim and you can get perches for their nails. Wing trims are typically done ever 6 months or so. Vet visits are recommended once a year or if your bird gets sick. Price wise for the bird is anywhere from $150 to $350. Their cages, toys, food, etc can get very expensive. I have probably spent at least $1000 in the past six months. Typically life span is 25 to 35 years but I have heard of them living longer. They make awesome pets but only if you can provide what they need.

Aye. Thank you all for the advice! I decided to fill out an adoption application for a local parrot rescue. After submitting the application and answering their questions and visiting their rescue, they gave me the OK on adopting a parrot and helped me find the right birds. I informed them about what breeds I like and what breeds I don't and we eventually ended up between two parrots- a 15 year old male or a 1 1/2 year old male. They explained to me their personalities too- the 15 year old had been a breeder for an animal hoarder. He and his mate had been rescued and brought to them. His mate had already been adopted and he was still waiting for a family- he was a perfect family bird, very sweet and quiet, and enjoyed just relaxing on a perch and observing commotion. They said he was a great bird to just hang out with while I drew or did homework. The 1 1/2 year old had been given up by a girl who ran out of attention for him and he started feather-plucking. He was very sweet but extremely shy. I think the older bird would be better for me. Soon they will also be scheduling a home-inspection and helping us find a avian vet. Oh, and we've already worked out college dilemmas. I have researched colleges that allow birds and there seems to be a very large variety for me to choose from when the time comes. I also plan on being an avian vet when I'm an adult, as I have wanted to be a vet since I was a toddler and am actually going up to Ohio for an internship in 2 weeks. This would also allow me to bring my bird to work with me. My family has agreed to fully accept the parrot as a member of the family who's cage will be in the living room in front of the TV where he will have all-day access to watch his favorite shows. There's almost always someone in the house so he will nearly never be alone. I plan on letting him out first thing in the morning until I have to leave for the bus, and right when I get home until its time to go to bed. I am also considering homeschool, which would allow him out of the cage all day long, though it's still an idea in progress. I am much more patient and affectionate around animals than most people my age which ensures the bird a dedicated, loving home. I already know all the toxic cleaners/foods/plants/chemicals to birds- it's not like I would rush into adopting a bird without doing my share of research! I also have lots of parrot-sitters in line for anytime id be out of town so the bird is happy and safe whenever I'm gone. Thanks everyone for all your help! I have acknowledged all your comments and advice and will put them all to good use. After I settle in with my new bird and get things into gear, I will start a new thread to update everyone on how we're doing and which bird I ultimately chose. Again, thank you!

15 year old of what breed? Definitely don't want a plucker as a first. Very difficult for even experienced owners to overcome that. Is the 15yo DNA tested as male? Breeder issues will be lack of "manners", being flighty, overly cage aggressive, generally don't trust humans right away. Will you be content with a bird you will have to work daily with to retrain? Also if it is male, springs will be, for lack of a better word, hell for you. Especially being a breeder in the past, his hormones will kick in (more than normal) and they get mean. Biting, mood changes, screaming, the works. Best idea for spring is to clip the wings so that if he's in attack mode, he can't fly over to someone in the vicinity and attack. My jenday did that to my boyfriend, he almost had multiple piercings on his ear cartilage. Fun stuff! Lol. Definitely post pictures. And I know for Indiana there are multiple parrot groups on Facebook, I'm sure your state will have something at least similar as well. That way you'll have constant contact to people who can help you out with various things, it's awesome. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom