Need help! Color ID

I will attempt to answer to the best of my ability.

Good luck and enjoy your guineas.
Hi, I'm back!!!

Yesterday I got this pics from my friend.

He has a sister of my ex Buff, now supposed Brown guineas. And he hatched this keets las week.

I looked at the color chart you posted me in the first post, and in my opinion they look like Brown keets.

Let me know what you think they are.

Regards
Urte

Hi, I'm back!!!

Yesterday I got this pics from my friend.

He has a sister of my ex Buff, now supposed Brown guineas. And he hatched this keets las week.

I looked at the color chart you posted me in the first post, and in my opinion they look like Brown keets.

Let me know what you think they are.

Regards
Urte

I agree with you except that I think the one on the right in the first pic looks like a lite lavender or possibly a buff dundotte. The only thing that I am sure of is that all 3 will be fully dotted based on the broad center stripe on their heads.

http://guineas.com/colorchart/color/litelavenderkeet.jpg

http://guineas.com/colorchart/color/brown.jpg

http://guineas.com/colorchart/color/buff_dundotte3.jpg

Hello hello!

Back with some info and questions!!

Last time i wrote here I had 3 brown hens and a chocolate male, sad to say that the chocolate male was killed by a possum one night.

So having no male all I could get was a Royas Purple male, and now I'm hatching the only 13 eggs layed this season, really poor year this was. I set them every 7 days in the incubator so there are 3 different batches.
So far the first batch of 6 hatched last saturday, 100%fertility and 100%hatched. Second batch hatches on saturday.

Father: Royal purple
Mothers (3): Brown
The chicks are: 2 Pearl grey, 2 Royal Purple, 1 Coral blue and 1 Lavender.

Here, the questions:

- Is it possible to "create" colors of guinea by combining the other colors?

- Having Browns and Royal Purple, they both have the DSV gene in them, but, as they produced Lavs and CoralB chicks they obviusly both carry light genes right?. Is it possible that maybe crossing Lav or CB siblings to eliminate the DSV I can get Buff and Buff dundottes as progeny???

- Or if I cross a Coral blue son to a Brown mother can I get Brown/Chocolate and Buff/Buff dundotte keets?

- Is there a web page or post here thar may be helpful with all the color types and its genetics?

-Whith those colors I have, can I get eventually Porcelain, Opaline or Lite Lav with selective breeding?

Regards
Urte

Hello hello!

Back with some info and questions!!

Last time i wrote here I had 3 brown hens and a chocolate male, sad to say that the chocolate male was killed by a possum one night.

So having no male all I could get was a Royas Purple male, and now I'm hatching the only 13 eggs layed this season, really poor year this was. I set them every 7 days in the incubator so there are 3 different batches.
So far the first batch of 6 hatched last saturday, 100%fertility and 100%hatched. Second batch hatches on saturday.

Father: Royal purple
Mothers (3): Brown
The chicks are: 2 Pearl grey, 2 Royal Purple, 1 Coral blue and 1 Lavender.

Here, the questions:

- Is it possible to "create" colors of guinea by combining the other colors?

- Having Browns and Royal Purple, they both have the DSV gene in them, but, as they produced Lavs and CoralB chicks they obviously both carry light genes right?. Is it possible that maybe crossing Lav or CB siblings to eliminate the DSV I can get Buff and Buff dundottes as progeny???

- Or if I cross a Coral blue son to a Brown mother can I get Brown/Chocolate and Buff/Buff dundotte keets?

- Is there a web page or post here that may be helpful with all the color types and its genetics?

-Whith those colors I have, can I get eventually Porcelain, Opaline or Lite Lav with selective breeding?

Regards
Urte
Due to the base change in the Internet, many of the previously available guinea color information sites are no longer available. The GFIA is currently bringing their site up to date but I have no idea when their information will be available. Some of the other sites are probably gone forever.

There is also insufficient color genetics information for guineas. I strongly suspect that there are more color genes than are currently known and that the claim that Royal Purples have the same dominant gray gene that Pearl Grays have is not true.

Yes it is possible to create different colors by breeding the colors that you currently have to each other. There appears to be a very complex relationship between the recessive colors blue and buff meaning that there are a number of different possibilities from the combination of those two genes.

The DSV gene can occur in all color types which is why there are differing shades of Lavenders, etc.

I do not have any Brown guineas but do know a person who has Browns and Coral Blues. She has not been able to produce any Chocolates from that pairing. In order to get Buffs, you have to breed something with the buff gene such as your Brown to something else that has the buff gene. Coral Blues do not have any buff genes so you aren't going to produce buffs by using a Coral Blue.

The fact that you produced Lavenders and Coral Blues from your Royal Purple and Brown pairing indicates that your Royal Purple has a recessive blue gene and at least one of your Browns has a recessive blue gene since both Lavenders and Coral Blues each have two recessive blue genes. Blue showing up does not have anything to do with the DSV gene. In a case where there are two blue genes and a DSV gene, the guinea will have a darker shade of blue than one that does not have the DSV gene.

These are the only color information links that I have that are currently working.

Guinea Fowl Genes and Comments

Color Genetics of Royal Purple Guineas

Guinea fowl plumage color inheritance

Wow! interesting... so Brown is not a Buff Dundotte + DSV, it is a totally different mutation. (Here's what I meant with "creating"new color varieties with what I have).

Lavenders may or may not have a DSV, is there a way of proving that?

So there is no way that with this birds and its mutations that I have now that I may be able to hatch a buff/buff dundotte?

Whith what I have, can I select and eliminate DSV or it is linked to either Brown or Royal P mutations?

Wow! interesting... so Brown is not a Buff Dundotte + DSV, it is a totally different mutation. (Here's what I meant with "creating"new color varieties with what I have).

Lavenders may or may not have a DSV, is there a way of proving that?

So there is no way that with this birds and its mutations that I have now that I may be able to hatch a buff/buff dundotte?

With what I have, can I select and eliminate DSV or it is linked to either Brown or Royal P mutations?
What is claimed is that Brown has the buff gene and the full dotting gene and a single DSV gene. The person that I know that has created browns did so by the mating of a Buff Dundotte with a Coral Blue. Her initial Browns had to have one buff gene, one blue gene, one full dotting gene and either one partial dotting or one no dotting gene. If a Brown does have a single DSV gene, it had to come from either the Buff Dundotte father or the Coral Blue mother.

If I was you, I would not worry about the DSV gene.

I believe that a standard Lavender has at least one DSV gene and possibly two and a Lite lavender does not have any DSV genes.

With your current group being:

Father: Royal purple (gray/blue, partial dotting/?, DSV/?)
Mothers (3): Brown (buff/blue, full dotting/partial dotting or no dotting, DSV/?)
The chicks are:
2 Pearl grey (gray/buff or blue, full dotting/partial dotting or no dotting, ?DSV),
2 Royal Purple (gray/buff or blue, partial dotting/partial dotting or no dotting, DSV/?),
1 Coral blue (blue/blue, partial dotting/partial dotting or no dotting, ?DSV) and
1 Lavender (blue/blue, full dotting/partial dotting or no dotting, DSV/?).

I do not believe that you can directly create a Buff Dundotte or a Buff from what you currently have. Depending on what your future hatches yield you might get a result that indicates that some of the offspring do have a buff gene. By selectively breeding them back to the Browns that you know have a buff gene, you will increase the odds of producing offspring that are homozygous for the buff gene. If you use the Lavender and the Coral Blue you will not produce offspring that are homozygous for the buff gene but if you breed the Lavender and Coral Blue together you will produce more Lavenders and Coral Blues that are homozygous for the color blue.

Thanks Bob!

I'll keep record on the matings and see what the future brings!!!

I have a friend that goes to the US often, when your guineas are laying, could you sell me and send the eggs to him so he brings them to me in Argentina? I'd love to get some new genes into my flock and possibly new color varieties.

I'll keep you posted on the next baches of keets that are about to hatch.

Regards
Urte

Thanks Bob!

I'll keep record on the matings and see what the future brings!!!

I have a friend that goes to the US often, when your guineas are laying, could you sell me and send the eggs to him so he brings them to me in Argentina? I'd love to get some new genes into my flock and possibly new color varieties.

I'll keep you posted on the next batches of keets that are about to hatch.

Regards
Urte
Sorry, my flock is not NPIP so crossing state lines with them is not a legal option let alone trying to take them into a different country. Hatching eggs fall under the same guidelines as live poultry.

If you want to get hatching eggs, my recommendation is to get them from the Guinea Farm which is the largest guinea fowl farm in the U.S. He also has an amazing assortment of colors available.

Sorry, my flock is not NPIP so crossing state lines with them is not a legal option let alone trying to take them into a different country. Hatching eggs fall under the same guidelines as live poultry.

If you want to get hatching eggs, my recommendation is to get them from the Guinea Farm which is the largest guinea fowl farm in the U.S. He also has an amazing assortment of colors available.

Excellent!!! thanks again

Anyone else having trouble connecting to the links? I know the International Guinea Fowl Association is updating their site. Have they disabled old links? I can't seem to find their color chart that I used to refer to.

Back
Top Bottom