Need help! Color ID

Anyone else having trouble connecting to the links? I know the International Guinea Fowl Association is updating their site. Have they disabled old links? I can't seem to find their color chart that I used to refer to.
The GFIA is down for the most part. Their rebuild is going really slow. The forums are now in place but there is only one actual post and none of the old forum posts have been incorporated at this time. When they get the Color Chart back up they have a place for it. Their Articles section is up but not completed thus leaving out their Color Genetics article. They do not have the staff or support that BYC had when switching over so how long it is going to take is not known.

All the FritsFarm links have been gone from even before the Internet change and I have not seen any evidence that they will be coming back. The same thing applies to the Guinea Fowl Breeders Association.

40A5C408-D667-4F74-922B-661B185CECA3.jpeg
EA08C7B5-539B-4646-9440-6776E38FE8DB.jpeg
Some time ago I took this print screens, hope they help a bit

Bob,
Yesterday I called Maria from Guinea Fowl, who was really nice to me and more than willing to explain everything I asked her.
They can sell and send me some hatching eggs to Florida for my friend to bring them for me. (he is bringing other poltry eggs for his as well and already has a special permit for livestock transportation).

Now the thing is I'll have to decide which color varieties!!! A not so easy thing for me.

I wanted to hear your opinion and recommendation on what color varieties are best to work with, keep in mind I don't know when in the near future will I have this kind of opportunity, so I wanted the most plastic varieties, with the idea of crossing them to one another to get other color varieties from there.

There were no coral blues here, but I "made" them by crossing Lavs to Royal Purples, this is what i mean by "plastic" varieties, to be able to crossbreed them to form other colors.

For example: if I buy Slates, can I, by crossing them to my Royal Purples get eventually Violet guineas?
Or, Porcelain, then crossed to my flock of Coral blues get Opalines? And then those Opalines crossed to Violet or Slates get Ivorys?
And again, Opalines bred to my Browns, can I get Buff dundottes and Buffs?

Sorry, if I'm annoying you, just let me know!
Regards
Urte

PS: Here available varieties are: Pearl, Pied/White, Lavs/Coral blue, Royal purples, Brown/Blonde.

Bob,
Yesterday I called Maria from Guinea Fowl, who was really nice to me and more than willing to explain everything I asked her.
They can sell and send me some hatching eggs to Florida for my friend to bring them for me. (he is bringing other poltry eggs for his as well and already has a special permit for livestock transportation).

Now the thing is I'll have to decide which color varieties!!! A not so easy thing for me.

I wanted to hear your opinion and recommendation on what color varieties are best to work with, keep in mind I don't know when in the near future will I have this kind of opportunity, so I wanted the most plastic varieties, with the idea of crossing them to one another to get other color varieties from there.

There were no coral blues here, but I "made" them by crossing Lavs to Royal Purples, this is what i mean by "plastic" varieties, to be able to crossbreed them to form other colors.

For example: if I buy Slates, can I, by crossing them to my Royal Purples get eventually Violet guineas?
Or, Porcelain, then crossed to my flock of Coral blues get Opalines? And then those Opalines crossed to Violet or Slates get Ivorys?
And again, Opalines bred to my Browns, can I get Buff dundottes and Buffs?

Sorry, if I'm annoying you, just let me know!
Regards
Urte

PS: Here available varieties are: Pearl, Pied/White, Lavs/Coral blue, Royal purples, Brown/Blonde.
Since you seem intent on making Buff/Buff Dundottes, I would recommend getting some of those.

You got lucky making the Coral Blues. For that to have happened you had to have a Lavender that was carrying the recessive partial dotting gene or the even more recessive no dotting gene and your Royal Purple had to be carrying the recessive blue gene.

In order to make Violets from a Royal Purple, the Royal Purple has to be carrying the recessive no dotting gene and that gene must also be carried by the other parent.

Because of how my Royal Purple was produced (Chocolate male x Coral Blue hen) and assuming that they are correct that the Chocolates are buff with two copies of the DSV gene and the dotting gene they carry is partial dotting my Royal Purple is theoretically blue/buff and partial dotting gene/? Further breedings established that this particular Royal Purple is partial dotting/no dotting which means that her Coral Blue mother is blue/blue and partial dotting/no dotting.

When I crossed that Royal Purple hen with a Powder Blue male (blue/blue and no dotting/no dotting), they produced some Violet keets (blue/buff and no dotting/no dotting).

If your Royal Purple does not have a no dotting (only provable by breeding to a non dotted bird), you will not be able to directly create Violets or any other type of non dotted guinea by using it.

My suggestion is that if you want to be able to create non dotted birds, you need to bring in some non dotted birds to start with in order to get that trait into your flock.

Get some Buff Dundottes, some Buffs, some Powder Blues and any other colors that strike your fancy. I really like my Chocolates and you may even be interested in their Pintos that are guineas that are mostly white with just a little bit of other color on them.

Good luck.

Clear as water! Thanks a lot on this genetic classes you've been giving me.

So the three dotting genes can be added to any color variety in 1, 2 or 3 generations but eventually it is possible.

I'll start chosing what to buy from Guinea Farm then!

3 more keets pipping, I'll keep you posted on what hatches.

Regards

Hi everyone!

Update:
From the 13 eggs laid, 11 chicks hatched:
3 Royal purples: 2 males, 1 female (killed by neighbour's dog last month).
2 Lavender: 1 M, 1 F.
1 Coral blue: female
5 pearled: 3 females, 2 males.

As I'm trying to get more of the Brown/Buff color, and pearled is quite common I sold the pearled males and Royan Purple father, so all 3 males left are Lavender and Royal purple split to Brown/Buff color and kept all sisters and the Brown/Buff mothers.
Its mid Spring here in southern hemisphere, hoping for eggs any time soon now!!!

I'll keep posting on hatch rate and colors of keets obtained.

Question:
They were born around February 20th, they are 8 months old, and its mid spring, will they lay any eggs? or maybe expect sth in late summer due to their age?

Hi everyone!

Update:
From the 13 eggs laid, 11 chicks hatched:
3 Royal purples: 2 males, 1 female (killed by neighbour's dog last month).
2 Lavender: 1 M, 1 F.
1 Coral blue: female
5 pearled: 3 females, 2 males.

As I'm trying to get more of the Brown/Buff color, and pearled is quite common I sold the pearled males and Royan Purple father, so all 3 males left are Lavender and Royal purple split to Brown/Buff color and kept all sisters and the Brown/Buff mothers.
Its mid Spring here in southern hemisphere, hoping for eggs any time soon now!!!

I'll keep posting on hatch rate and colors of keets obtained.

Question:
They were born around February 20th, they are 8 months old, and its mid spring, will they lay any eggs? or maybe expect sth in late summer due to their age?
They are sexually mature and should start laying this spring.

Hello!
First batch of 8 eggs hatched, 14 more due on Sat. and set 30 more eggs two days ago.

The chicks are:
2 pearl grey
1 lav
3 coral blue
1 ? (super light lav.)
1 Partially dotted, ? belonging to the brownish family of color mutations, hope pics help ID.

Some pics, with and without flash.
IMG_1703.jpg
IMG_1706.jpg
IMG_1715.jpg

This other coloured chicks hatched to a friend las week, he put them with Pearled to compare the color. I couldn't tell him what colors they are.
IMG_1699.jpeg

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom