Need help- ducks are attacking each other

Yeah that's why she's on her own now. Have a pen that's split in half for her and Dotty. Its just weird that the right ratio is supposed to be three/four girls for every male which is what I had, and it worked for as long as it did. But I know animals can have their weird moments so I'm just trying to work with what I can. Just want to make sure everyone is as safe and happy as possible.

Ducks are weird little beasts. Separation is sometimes necessary. You can see Blofeld in his side of the coop above, with Le Chiffre and Scaramanga staring onward. With that little bit of mesh, they'll happily sleep inside and be calm. Take it away, Blofeld's neck will be picked bare in half a day. Put up a solid wall, and they'll all sleep outside so they can see each other (temperatures as cold as 10 F – any colder than that before we had the mesh, we brought them inside).

They are slowly calming down. (As in 15 months and counting.) On a nice day, they can now wander the yard together (Blofeld trailing behind by a foot), and not tear each other apart. Last year, when it first started, Scaramanga & Le Chiffre would run 20 yards to leap at Blofeld and tear at his neck. But they can't be penned together, even in a pretty big pen (we have a 25'x10' for the three of them, and that's not big enough). And we've just resigned ourselves to the fact that that might go on for the rest of their lives.

I have four golden 300 ducks, 1 drake and 3 ducks. All are about 8 months old and hatched and raised together. Its mid winter and I found a very injured female. She has removed after a few days in the duck hospital aka spare bathroom. I took her back out to see the drake attacking her and not allowing her near the other two ducks. For now he has been moved to the chicken yard. What is going on and will I be able to stop this behavior

Back
Top Bottom