Need Help... lumps on red golden pheasant chick hocks/shanks

Areeba

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
I have a chick 8 weeks old having problem in walking. i noticed that there are some lumps on her legs near hocks,shanks or swelling. my other chick is acting like that too and having the same prob i have searched a lot and found that it might be reovirus infection or newcastle disease now what can i do . does it spread from one to another??? m posting a pics

Code:
I'm not seeing any swelling. They look like normal legs with normal joint bumps unless I'm missing something? What is the problem they have when walking.... It looks to be standing good..... What are you feeding them?

Ok, I blew up one of the pics that is facing forward. It looks a little swollen on the inside of the joints. Not sure if it's water retention or something... But I doubt it is one of those diseases if the bird is not acting sick also. It could be a diet issue or possible genetic

Last edited:
Thanks for a quick response....
smile.png
. Three days ago i took her to the vet and he said that she and her friends having newcastle disease. and gave me the medicines keflex, leflox, metronidazole, methycobal 2 times a day for 5 days. and a vitamin supplement vidaline drops.
They are on chick starter with fish meal. m giving them fresh spinach , parsley and cucumber. they are eating boiled rice and eggs . Is she looking weak to you?? btw she is on antibiotics in these pics. Can i give her a luke warm salty water massage coz there is some stiffness in her legs. Her other friends enjoy dust bathing she tries too but not much as they do.Is it due to some internal injury or slip tendon???
Today i noticed that her friends are also sitting on their hocks so is it weakness??
Thanks,
Regards
Areeba.

Strange. What test did they do to confirm Newcastle? If you give a good gambird starter and a little greens that should be enough for basic nutrition . Did you add all that stuff to their diet after or before they started having problems ? If you feed too much protein or not enough it can cause leg issues too.

[=http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/faqnewcastle.html][/]

Here is a page describing the symptoms of Newcastle, go to the top right and tiny letters it says FAQs, click that, then about Newcastle. I'm not one to say not to listen to a vet...... But unless I'm missing a lot of information about your birds symptoms, none of them seem to be related to your birds problem...

I would guess nutrition or something else. Their are other diseases , like Mareks that cause leg issues, but not as common in pheasants as chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom