Need help with identifying new chicks

kharmon320

Songster
Sep 6, 2015
South Carolina
I placed 9 fertile eggs under my BLRW. They hatched yesterday and today. Here were the possible combinations:

1. Blue Ameraucana/possibly Lavender Ameraucana Rooster over a Black Ameraucana Hen. My friend has all the parents. I believe these birds are lavender or split lavender based upon babies that she hatched out:

These are the really light chicks my friend hatched from this pen: The really light gray birds in the photo are the ones.

Here are my newly hatched babies that I "think" belong to this pair. They have the fluffiest cheeks. Not the yellow chicks, but the gray/blue looking chicks in each photo.

2. Blue Ameraucana rooster X Barred Rock hen: I'm not sure this one hatched. I had 2 duds in the bunch.

3. Blue Ameraucana rooster X Buff Orpington hen: I think at least 1 or 2 or these hatched. Could either one of these be this cross? The yellow and more orange-yellow chicks in foreground in each photo.

4. Blue Ameraucana Rooster X Black Sex Link hen: I have no idea if I even had one of her eggs, but we think so. I think it was one of the duds.

I have no idea which one these might be: (the chocolaty looking one on right and the darker one in the next photo).

The rooster for all of the fertile eggs was the Ameraucana. I'm not ruling out that he is an easter egger, but he may be a lavender ameraucana. The hen looks just like a Black Ameraucana and lays blue eggs. Again, I realize she could be an EE, but they are supposed to be Ameraucanas.

Here is the rooster:

I know this is probably a very confusing thread, but if you're feeling real generous please chime in.

Thanks a bunch! It really won't matter what they are, but I am curious.

Kerrie

The rooster is an EE. Lav/black split chicks will all be born black. The lav will only be expressed in subsequent generations when bred to other splits or lavenders.
Thanks for the info. My suspicion was he was an EE as I couldn't reliably find any photos of an ameraucana rooster that looks like him.

However, if that rooster and the Black Ameraucana hen produced the very pale gray birds in the first photo, wouldn't she carry lavender?

Is it possible to predict color based upon the chicks down color? I realize I will know in 6-8 weeks what the base colors will be. Will the buff orpington cross chick be a certain color?

Here are some updated photos. If anyone has any idea which babies came from which hen, I'd love to hear thoughts. The possible hens were barred rock, black sex link, buff orpingtons, and a black ameraucana. While I realize the rooster is an EE, he is a light blue, full beard/muffs, pea comb. All three of my blue eggs hatched and I am almost positive these are the three babies from that pair:

Blue chick, darkest one with dark slate legs. Feather shafts are blue. Very puffy cheeks and beard.

This little guy is very light gray with puffy cheeks/beard. The shaft of each feather is whitish, so is he considered a lavender???? Slate legs with yellow skin on bottom of feet.

This guy is light grey, but I see darker spots peaking through with an occasional light patch. The feather shafts are blue. Do you think it's a "Splash"? I'm fairly certain this one is a roo. I can see 3 teeny tiny rows of peas and he is the biggest one of all. The legs are definitely orange with a slate wash on the front. He has puffy cheeks and beard, but is it possible this is a barred bird from the barred rock? The rooster had dark slate legs. I think the Ameraucana hen had slate legs, but I cannot find a photo of her.

Here are the others which I'm clueless about:

This one is brown with a large brown solid stripe down the back. Wasn't very chipmunk-y looking. Semi-puffy cheeks. Dark legs. The feathers coming in are very mottled looking. That's the only word I can think of. So, who's the momma? Buff, Barred Rock (I say no as it should be black or blue, correct?), or the Black Sex Link?

Okay, so this little chick looks exactly like the one above except the brown is washed out, more like a chocolate color. It has dark legs, but more willowy.

So, here's a poor gangly teenager. I'm guessing this is from the buff. I've ran different scenarios through the chicken calculator and come up with a buff unicolor, but would like confirmation. I don't see any puffy cheeks on this little one. Orange feet.

And last, but not least, is the yellow chick. This chick was all yellow with a black streak on head. I was surprised by the color of feathers coming in. White mixed with a muddy grey. Yellow beak and feet. Who do you think the momma is?

Thanks for taking the time to look and guess with me.

Oh, I never considered he was splash. I was questioning the very light blue chick looks lavender because his feather shafts look white, not blue. I realize for that to happen, the black Ameraucana hen would also need to carry the recessive lavender gene. Just curious more than anything.

@junebugga, Thanks for the response. Any clue which chicks came from the black sex link with the blue rooster?

Last edited:
Oh, I never considered he was splash. I was questioning the very light blue chick looks lavender because his feather shafts look white, not blue. I realize for that to happen, the black Ameraucana hen would also need to carry the recessive lavender gene. Just curious more than anything.

@junebugga, Thanks for the response. Any clue which chicks came from the black sex link with the blue rooster?
Maybe chicks 4 and 5? Chick #3 has a faint spot of white on the back of the head. That one had to come from a barred hen, and is a cockerel for sure.

Back
Top Bottom