Need to give a shot. Question about injectable

We finished 6 days of Baytril and then he started avoiding me when he saw me coming with it. By then he looked much better. His eye is open and he can see out of it, he is displaying, calling, and running around the property. Since he had also had three days of fresh cipro before I started giving him the Baytril, and before that he was on the Denagard for ten days, I decided he might know what he was doing when he was calling it quits with the meds. He had such a huge improvement when we started with the Baytril that we (once again) hesitated to catch him to confine him and treat him with the eye drops, just because it would be so stressful for him. He is not 100% better, I can still tell a slight difference in the two eyes, and he has a tiny lump but I want to just watch him for a bit. It also looks like the eye might have a small white mark on it, like a scar. Someone suggested maybe it was an injury after all.....I'm hoping maybe he will continue to heal up on his own the rest of the way, with the warm weather coming. It is still slow in coming, it's cold and rainy, but we've had some nice days, and he always seems like he's feeling great then....

Thanks for asking.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you all for the help and advise in treating my gander Henry. I did give him a PenG shot Saturday night, unfortunately he was dead in the pond Sunday morning. He was very sick, and I tried and tried even with other folks on here helping me to try to find someone who would see him, but no luck. That's why I decided to try to medicate him myself. I knew it was getting desperate, so I did, but too late.
hit.gif
We buried him Sunday afternoon in the pouring down rain. It was a very sad day for all of us. We've had him for around 20 years, and Scarface. Poor Scarface, he's so lost, going all around the yard calling Henry and trying to tell us that he's missing. Going to have to get him someone to help him in his grief, preferably an older goose or gander rather than babies.
Scarface's face is somewhat better today. Maybe the Tetracycline is working, the knots seem to be going down. I've been putting it in his water now for about 3 days. Henry was getting some too, but just not enough to help him I guess since he was so bad off. Anyway, you may be on to something Chicknmania, sounds like your peacock's problem with the eye, only Scarface has 2 knots on his cheek, only on one side. May be that, what is causing the eye problem, the eye sounds just like yours with the white spot in the middle of the eye. I'm pretty sure Scarface is now blind in that eye, and probably won't ever be right again because of it. May check with you about the cipro if this doesn't work, but it seems it may be helping. Going to just keep that up until it gets well, if it will. Been feeding him some lettuce with fish oil on it as instructed by someone on the geese thread who knows her stuff, so hoping that will help too. He is healthy all except for that problem and now the grief, just hope he doesn't stop eating because of it. He's so sad. I hurt for him so.

My beloved Scarface and Henry (on right). RIP my beloved friend. Thank you all so very much for all your help during all of this! God bless :) Harry

Aw,my heart is aching. This thread is very difficult for me to read, I can't imagine what it must be like for you to have to live this.
I hope you can find a friend for your other gander :(
20 years is a long time to share your life with someone, even if it was "just a bird" to other people. How many individuals have THEY spent 20 years with? Likely not many.

Last edited:
Yes, that's true. Not many people these days stay together that long anymore. 20 years is a very long time to spend with someone day and night, never being separated at all for any amount of time. They followed each other everywhere. Never apart, always walking in step together. I'm really worried about Scarface and his grieving. It really hurts my heart too, especially watching him and listening to him calling Henry all day long. He keeps trying to tell us that Henry is missing. He even came all the way up onto the porch to tell us yesterday. He's never done that before, ever. Hope I can find him someone very soon. I feel so sorry for him. I wish I didn't get so close to animals, but you just can't help it.
idunno.gif

Yes, that's true. Not many people these days stay together that long anymore. 20 years is a very long time to spend with someone day and night, never being separated at all for any amount of time. They followed each other everywhere. Never apart, always walking in step together. I'm really worried about Scarface and his grieving. It really hurts my heart too, especially watching him and listening to him calling Henry all day long. He keeps trying to tell us that Henry is missing. He even came all the way up onto the porch to tell us yesterday. He's never done that before, ever. Hope I can find him someone very soon. I feel so sorry for him. I wish I didn't get so close to animals, but you just can't help it. :idunno
I think it's a wonderful thing to become attached with creatures not of your own species. It shows how open your soul is to mercy and compassion.

Thank you so much for the links. May very well do that, as it may work faster than the Tetracycline. Don't know if it's of any significance, but the chickens also sometimes drink the geese water. No way to stop them or separate it where they can't get to it since they are free range, although, right at this moment, the only 2 free range hens I have are sitting, 1 is sitting, and 1 just had babies, so they are not out and about right now only the rooster is. Which do you think would work better and faster, the Cipro or the Baytril?

Thank you so much for the links. May very well do that, as it may work faster than the Tetracycline. Don't know if it's of any significance, but the chickens also sometimes drink the geese water. No way to stop them or separate it where they can't get to it since they are free range, although, right at this moment, the only 2 free range hens I have are sitting, 1 is sitting, and 1 just had babies, so they are not out and about right now only the rooster is. Which do you think would work better and faster, the Cipro or the Baytril?
Both are the same "type" of antibiotic. The great thing about Baytril is that it's liquid and much easier to give the correct dose which would enable you to treat very small animals... you couldn't do that as easily with 500mg of Cipro. The oral Baytril doses my vets have recommended are:

• 10mg/kg twice a day for 5 days
  • 15mg/kg once a day for 5 days
  • 20 mg/kg once a day for 5 days

The amount I have been doing lately is 10mg/kg twice a day, so if one buys the 10% liquid (100mg/ml), that means one would give .1ml per 2.2 pounds.

If you decide to buy Baytril or it's generic, shop around, I've seen liters of it for $80. Not suggesting that buy a liter, lol, just shop around and figure out what size bottle would work best for you. I'm gonna guess that a big goose weighs 20-33 pounds? so a 33 pounder (15kg) would get 1.5ml twice a day for 5 days if it lived here.

Keep in mind that Baytril and Cipro are very powerful antibiotics and using them can cause yeast infections.

-Kathy

Both are the same "type" of antibiotic. The great thing about Baytril is that it's liquid and much easier to give the correct dose which would enable you to treat very small animals... you couldn't do that as easily with 500mg of Cipro. The oral Baytril doses my vets have recommended are:

• 10mg/kg twice a day for 5 days
  • 15mg/kg once a day for 5 days
  • 20 mg/kg once a day for 5 days

The amount I have been doing lately is 10mg/kg twice a day, so if one buys the 10% liquid (100mg/ml), that means one would give .1ml per 2.2 pounds.

If you decide to buy Baytril or it's generic, shop around, I've seen liters of it for $80. Not suggesting that buy a liter, lol, just shop around and figure out what size bottle would work best for you. I'm gonna guess that a big goose weighs 20-33 pounds? so a 33 pounder (15kg) would get 1.5ml twice a day for 5 days if it lived here.

Keep in mind that Baytril and Cipro are very powerful antibiotics and using them can cause yeast infections.

-Kathy

Our Baytril is in a tablet. Which I prefer. It is sectioned off into quarters so it's easy to cut into the correct dose.

Back
Top Bottom