Neem oil for mites

Thank you for your response. I use pine shavings in the nesting boxes. And I have been using DE in the boxes, under the linoleum and rubbed into the walls of the coop. The first time I did this I noticed the next day a huge decrease in their redness. I also sprayed most of the coop with "poultry protector". And wiped it down with warm soapy water.
One of hens is molting in the middle of winter!! She was born in May so she isn't a year old yet. From what I read she shouldn't be moulting, but she is the first hen to start laying eggs which means she is the oldest. She doesn't seem like a happy camper in this freezing weather. I'll try the rosemary. Sounds like a great idea. I noticed when I had garlic in their water their legs seems less irritated too. It's just so difficult with nearly a foot of snow outside to get the coop cleaned. I"m thinking to wrap each chicken in a towel and carry them to the garage while I clean up the coop again. For now, do you think cleaning the coop out of pine shavings each day will help keep it at bay until I can get the neem oil? I have canola oil. Should i try that tomorrow? I can dip each foot in for 5 min, so it would take me an hour to do all 12 legs...Ha ha.

I read on here about using vasoline on their legs for mites. It can also be a first aid for wounds or cuts I've read.

Just put neem oil on my hens legs, small spray under each wing and by their vent, painted outside of the coop and the wood on the run! The smell is unusual I painted the roost bars but was hesitant to put too much inside due to the smell

Has anyone noticed the smell bothering the hens

"Painted" it on? Is it slippery on the roost? I would think so. I read that Lin seed oil and karacene to the roost works good too. There is such a wealth of info here, it's amazing. Glad I found this site. I've learned SO MUCH!

I have a roo with feathered feet, thus leg mites. Can't seem to get him over them! I'm going to mix need oil with Vaseline and see what that does. Gotta treat the whole flock tho. That's a lot of work! I'll let you know how that works.

I am starting this thread for neem oil.

Has anyone tried it? If you do try it, feel free to post your experience here.

Fortunately my chickens are mite-free right now. But I am really considering buying this neem oil.

Here
http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-DYNEM032...A08C/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1294261673&sr=8-6

The thread this came from (see post #16):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=436251&p=2
I have been using neem oil recently, to combat red mites, with great success.
I use little dabs of oil rubbed into the roots of the feathers, neat.
I mix it with alcohol to spray on roosts and in house. Here it can be very humid. For this I use alcohol to dry rapidly...other times I also mix potassium soap with water to dissolve and add been to this also. This I spray on roosts, floor, all over in the chicken house.
A month ago, I would be crawling with bugs after cleaning their house and now have not seen anymore in about two weeks.
I have also been making a spray of garlic. One for in the house and roosting places is made with alcohol. The other I use cooking oil to soak the macerated garlic in, sack the solids and diluted with water, spray chickens feathers especially butts, while they run around the yard, when I don't have time to catch them all. Diatomaceous earth has also been very helpful on chickens and in their nesting boxes.
Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom