Neem oil for mites

I swear by Neem seed oil. Keeps my kids lice free and my dogs flea free. I googled to see if it can be used on chickens and it brought me to this thread. I hope you don't mind me putting my 20c worth in to the discussion.

I believe I've read somewhere that Neem, once mixed, doesn't have a particularly good shelf life and will lose its effectiveness quickly (Please don't take my word for this though, I'm sure the information is out there if you'd like to check for yourself).

To use it on my kids and my dogs (and their bedding) I use it in a preventative manner. It works a treat. I take about a tsp of 100% Neem seed oil and mix it with the same amount of liquid soap (shampoo for the kids, flea control shampoo for the dogs) so that it will disperse in water. If you don't mix it with the soap of some kind, it will just float on top of the water and not mix. I then put it in to a spray bottle (roughly a cup in volume I guess) and fill it with water. Shake it to mix and spray away. 

I find I don't need to get it on their skin, although I am certain some would find its way to their skin. I do however rub my dogs once I've sprayed them to spread it over their coat. The kids get a spray at the base of their hairline at the back, a spray above each ear and one in the middle/top of their head. Went from having regular occurrences of nits/fleas to NONE EVER once I started spraying the kids each morning before school. The dogs and their bedding just get sprayed when they are bathed (I also mix some Neem in to the dog shampoo I use and leave the lather on for a few minutes before rinsing).

I would probably use it on my chickens now that I've read this thread. Perhaps oiling the roosts/coop/nesting boxes and then a drop under their wings and back of their neck to start the preventative ball rolling and then the watered down spray, directly on to the chickens to maintain.

Trust me, you don't need much at all - I think that even a mix of 10% Neem to 90% of a cheaper oil might even do the trick. It's pretty good stuff!! A lesser mix might also suit those that still have concerns over it's toxicity. It does stink, but I find with the spray on my kids and dogs hair that the smell goes away as it dries and you would have to put your nose directly on the sprayed area to smell it. Either that or I just become accustomed to the smell after the initial heavy waft of garlicy scent when I first spray haha.

Thank you for contributing this very good info from your firsthand experience! :)

I swear by Neem seed oil. Keeps my kids lice free and my dogs flea free. I googled to see if it can be used on chickens and it brought me to this thread. I hope you don't mind me putting my 20c worth in to the discussion.

I believe I've read somewhere that Neem, once mixed, doesn't have a particularly good shelf life and will lose its effectiveness quickly (Please don't take my word for this though, I'm sure the information is out there if you'd like to check for yourself).

To use it on my kids and my dogs (and their bedding) I use it in a preventative manner. It works a treat. I take about a tsp of 100% Neem seed oil and mix it with the same amount of liquid soap (shampoo for the kids, flea control shampoo for the dogs) so that it will disperse in water. If you don't mix it with the soap of some kind, it will just float on top of the water and not mix. I then put it in to a spray bottle (roughly a cup in volume I guess) and fill it with water. Shake it to mix and spray away.

I find I don't need to get it on their skin, although I am certain some would find its way to their skin. I do however rub my dogs once I've sprayed them to spread it over their coat. The kids get a spray at the base of their hairline at the back, a spray above each ear and one in the middle/top of their head. Went from having regular occurrences of nits/fleas to NONE EVER once I started spraying the kids each morning before school. The dogs and their bedding just get sprayed when they are bathed (I also mix some Neem in to the dog shampoo I use and leave the lather on for a few minutes before rinsing).

I would probably use it on my chickens now that I've read this thread. Perhaps oiling the roosts/coop/nesting boxes and then a drop under their wings and back of their neck to start the preventative ball rolling and then the watered down spray, directly on to the chickens to maintain.

Trust me, you don't need much at all - I think that even a mix of 10% Neem to 90% of a cheaper oil might even do the trick. It's pretty good stuff!! A lesser mix might also suit those that still have concerns over it's toxicity. It does stink, but I find with the spray on my kids and dogs hair that the smell goes away as it dries and you would have to put your nose directly on the sprayed area to smell it. Either that or I just become accustomed to the smell after the initial heavy waft of garlicy scent when I first spray haha.
This sounds awesome!!!! Thanks very much!!!

I put my tiny one week old seabright bantoms and my duckling outside in coop for some sunshine and freash air and when I brought them back in they were absolutely covered in mites. The duckling was bloody on her back. I had some pure cold pressed neem oil on hand so I took it and rubbed it all over them all. They are all oily but the mites started to come off them and I squished them as they were coming off and crawling up my hands. They seem to be mite free now, but they are an oily mess. If neem oil is toxic, there guys are toast. I didn't know it was potentially toxic till I read this thread just now! They seem to be doing fine at this point. I'll update in a few days. But we should know 100% if neem oil is toxic to chickens and ducks in high concentrations by the outcome of this. They are cleaning their feathers too so they are also ingesting it. Pray for my babies!! Sigh....

I put my tiny one week old seabright bantoms and my duckling outside in coop for some sunshine and freash air and when I brought them back in they were absolutely covered in mites. The duckling was bloody on her back. I had some pure cold pressed neem oil on hand so I took it and rubbed it all over them all. They are all oily but the mites started to come off them and I squished them as they were coming off and crawling up my hands. They seem to be mite free now, but they are an oily mess. If neem oil is toxic, there guys are toast. I didn't know it was potentially toxic till I read this thread just now! They seem to be doing fine at this point. I'll update in a few days. But we should know 100% if neem oil is toxic to chickens and ducks in high concentrations by the outcome of this. They are cleaning their feathers too so they are also ingesting it. Pray for my babies!! Sigh....

Fingers crossed they are fine! I have never had any casualties from neem oil but then again I've never put quite that much on a chick before. :)
Please keep us updated!

They are fine today. Still oily but seem happy. I mixed up some thyme oil cleaner (non toxic) with some neem oil and some lavender oil to make it smell better and I e treated the coops and the chickens. As well as my bedroom for safe measure since I had some on me last night. We will see if that cures the problem.

They are fine today. Still oily but seem happy. I mixed up some thyme oil cleaner (non toxic) with some neem oil and some lavender oil to make it smell better and I e treated the coops and the chickens. As well as my bedroom for safe measure since I had some on me last night. We will see if that cures the problem.
Oh I am so glad!

I am glad your mites are gone as well!

For the usual poultry dust, you have to retreat in 7 days for mites to kill the hatching eggs, just to let you know. I am not sure about neem oil and how you should proceed in your situation. It seems the oil would have residues but I am not sure.

Oh I am so glad!

I am glad your mites are gone as well!

For the usual poultry dust, you have to retreat in 7 days for mites to kill the hatching eggs, just to let you know. I am not sure about neem oil and how you should proceed in your situation. It seems the oil would have residues but I am not sure.

I know that neem oil can prevent eggs from hatching or kill any larvae that do hatch rather quickly but I do retreat my birds after a week just in case. I do three weeks in a row if it's bad or if it's a new bird.
I checked my flock last week and treated preventatively. Only one of my chickens had avian lice, out of 20 birds! Don't know how she got it but I am glad I treated to keep it from spreading. I'll be treating her again in a couple of days. :)

@chickbabe glad to hear your babies are doing well. I hope they continue to thrive! :)

Last edited:
I made a mixture of thyme oil cleaner called benefect, water, neem oil and lavender oil. Sprayed my coops and my chickens and all the mites are completely gone. I also put wood ash down for dusting. Will retreat next wee to be safe. Also works on my horses and plants! Can't beat it.

I made a mixture of thyme oil cleaner called benefect, water, neem oil and lavender oil. Sprayed my coops and my chickens and all the mites are completely gone. I also put wood ash down for dusting. Will retreat next wee to be safe. Also works on my horses and plants! Can't beat it.

It is pretty amazing what power is already in nature. :)
Glad it works for you!!

Back
Top Bottom