Negative temps

It's 10* here in IL real feel -34 with 15 mph winds( its slowed down). Going to be even colder going into the morning. I've put up 2 flat wall radiant heaters in the coop. Snow in the coop girls covered in snow this afternoon.
The wind was 35mph this morning and ripped the plastic off the run so it got very snowy and windy in there where it's usually dry. I had to leave it, nothing I could do about it with the wind so high. I just locked them in until the morning when the door opens.
I think they'll be fine. These birds have experienced this before and lived. The heaters don't warm it up much unfortunately.

If there is frost or snow on their backs, it means they aren't loosing heat and melting the frost. Each bird is well insulated.

Please post your location in your profile avatar. If MT is Montana, I'm sure it will get -30 F another time, and another. Glad I live in tropical Michigan
Ok great thank you. Yep Montana we are getting our cold spurt now.

-30 is quite low.. No location in your profile,,, so don't have a quick solution. Many chicken keepers in such extreme cold zones do provide heat to their coops.
Frost on the backs,,,,,, could also indicate frost bitten combs, and wattles.:(
Yes I would recommend some source of warmth in such extremes.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
x2. Will add that frost occurs when ventilation is poor.

Well, I apparently have hardy chickens. They have been able to survive suffocating 112 to 114 heat indexes during the summer and now they seem to be managing negative windchill. Is it normal that chickens would choose to lay in the uncovered run with the windchill at -12? They have access to the covered run with wind protection and the coop. Should I make them stay in the protected area? I assume they instinctively know what to do like my cows and horses. (?)

I brought in a few frailer, and already frozen birds when it came through our area. I have one section with a heat lamp, which is keeping it at about 0 at the warmest part right now. None of my other coops can have electricity.

Best I can say is just make sure they're eating, and keep an eye on them. Test their feet, make sure that all their toes can be bent easily. Any with half closed eyes or frozen solid feet, consider bringing indoors until we can get back to a more tolerable temperature

Well, I apparently have hardy chickens. They have been able to survive suffocating 112 to 114 heat indexes during the summer and now they seem to be managing negative windchill. Is it normal that chickens would choose to lay in the uncovered run with the windchill at -12? They have access to the covered run with wind protection and the coop. Should I make them stay in the protected area? I assume they instinctively know what to do like my cows and horses. (?)
That means they are fairly comfortable, if it gets too cold they'll huddle in that protected area. Chickens are pretty smart and the species has survived a long time.

Back
Top Bottom