Negative temps

We live in western ND, had -71 windchill yesterday morning and -43 this morning. We have radiant heater and heat lamps in our coops. They all huddle up under the heat and ride out the storm. Keep plenty of high energy feed in front of them at all times and do your best to keep water available. We also put down a thick layer of bedding under the heat sources and around feed and water. So far all the birds are doing well. Still laying eggs too. Our turkeys have access to a lean to barn but they prefer being outside most of the time. We do bed their area with a think layer of chopped corn stalks.

Hi there. First winter with chickens. Our temps are down to -30. Heat or no? Insulated coop with ventilation above roosts. Chickens do have frost on their backs.
We live in central Wisconsin. Our shed/coop has no power, so below zero nights are a challenge. Although they could probably survive it, we use a kerosene heater on the coldest of nights. Works pretty well, and it would shut down if it got knocked out by any pesty critter that might be running around. This shed is old and a bit drafty - though not in the chicken's area. Even so, the heater seems to keep it about 15 degrees warmer than outside temp. The only time a couple girls had frostbite was when I made the mistake of adding warm water to their water bucket, which caused steam, which caused moisture and and a couple combs turned white. :(

I used Vaseline, and their combs did not get worse...did not fall off. From that point on made keeping the coop dry a higher priority than providing warm food or water. Kerosene heater helps warm the general area with dry heat.

My chickens are in 100+ year old wood sided house that's 8x10 and not insulated in any way. It's definitely seen better days, but I have patched it up best I can to keep them safe and comfortable. There are 2 lift-up windows that I intentionally leave lifted a tad for good ventilation. I use 2 heat lamps that are well-secured with metal straps/bolts to hang below the rafters. I have them wrapped with chicken wire so the bulbs can't be broken. Our temps dipped well below freezing this past week. The coop was not warm by human standards, but far better than nothing. This was the first winter I found them huddled together on the worst days.

The most important things to remember is to provide enough ventilation to prevent moisture in the coop. Moisture is your enemy. It can cause health issues as well as frostbite.

If you do use a heat source, be sure that you don't use extension cords that are not rated for that kind of appliance, don't place near any combustibles such as straw or wood chips. Heat lamp hardware is notorious insufficient and can easily fall -- especially if you have a chicken trying to roost on it, so placement is important.

I remove that hardware and secure a metal strap around the bulb base using bolts and then bolt the strap around the rafters. This has worked well for me for the past 5 or 6 years.

Edited to add ** I do not use a heated waterer any longer. I had one in the pen and one in the house -- both of them melted on the underside where the cord comes out from the element. They were those large green heated bowls commonly sold by TractorSupply and other feed stores.

Last edited:
My chickens are in 100+ year old wood sided house that's 8x10 and not insulated in any way. It's definitely seen better days, but I have patched it up best I can to keep them safe and comfortable. There are 2 lift-up windows that I intentionally leave lifted a tad for good ventilation. I use 2 heat lamps that are well-secured with metal straps/bolts to hang below the rafters. I have them wrapped with chicken wire so the bulbs can't be broken. Our temps dipped well below freezing this past week. The coop was not warm by human standards, but far better than nothing. This was the first winter I found them huddled together on the worst days.

The most important things to remember is to provide enough ventilation to prevent moisture in the coop. Moisture is your enemy. It can cause health issues as well as frostbite.

If you do use a heat source, be sure that you don't use extension cords that are not rated for that kind of appliance, don't place near any combustibles such as straw or wood chips. Heat lamp hardware is notorious insufficient and can easily fall -- especially if you have a chicken trying to roost on it, so placement is important.

I remove that hardware and secure a metal strap around the bulb base using bolts and then bolt the strap around the rafters. This has worked well for me for the past 5 or 6 years.

Edited to add ** I do not use a heated waterer any longer. I had one in the pen and one in the house -- both of them melted on the underside where the cord comes out from the element. They were those large green heated bowls commonly sold by TractorSupply and other feed stores.
In SW Missouri and yes, very cold here for several days and heading that way again. We were 8 below temps with -45 degree wind chill. I kept the chickens inside 2 days and let out during the warmest part of the other days. Still the roosters have some frost bite, which happened last year, too. I use those 2 gal green heated waterers but haven't had any problems and mine are about 8 years old I think. Knocking on wood I don't have any problems with them but glad you mentioned it so I can keep a closer eye on them. Without them there's just no way to keep water for me than a few minutes in this weather. I do not heat the coop and it's not remotely warm, stays within only a couple of degrees of outside temps. Here's hoping we don't make this a habit this winter! Thanks for posting all of your tips.

In SW Missouri and yes, very cold here for several days and heading that way again. We were 8 below temps with -45 degree wind chill. I kept the chickens inside 2 days and let out during the warmest part of the other days. Still the roosters have some frost bite, which happened last year, too. I use those 2 gal green heated waterers but haven't had any problems and mine are about 8 years old I think. Knocking on wood I don't have any problems with them but glad you mentioned it so I can keep a closer eye on them. Without them there's just no way to keep water for me than a few minutes in this weather. I do not heat the coop and it's not remotely warm, stays within only a couple of degrees of outside temps. Here's hoping we don't make this a habit this winter! Thanks for posting all of your tips.
Yep, it's a nippy 5 degrees here this morning and just on my way to the chicken house. I take lukewarm water out twice a day in these temps. Sounds like we did the same with keeping them cooped up on coldest days. Normally they free range, but not so much in winter. Besides that, a fox has been hanging around. My dog and I stayed out with them the past couple of days to let them get some free time.

Yes -- do keep a close eye on the waterers.

Back
Top Bottom