Neighbors cats

cwilly

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 6, 2008
I looked out the window last night and noticed two of my neighbors cats (they have about 20) walking on top of my enclosed run. They ran off when I went outside, but later I saw them hiding in the bushes close by. Is this something I need to worry about, or are they just being curious? I don't think anything can get into the run, but I don't want them terrorizing my girls.

They may be hunting rodents. We support about 25 ferals on our farm and they have eradicated the rodents. They have to leave the property to get so much as a mole! They are a good test of your facility, watch them closely, they'll show you where they think they can get in.

My babies aren't outside (yet) but our neighbors have chickens. Mind you, we live in suburbia with relatively small lots. Those neighbors' chickens are watched more than Britney Spears!! The cats in the are l-o-v-e to watch the chickens' every move. I'm not sure what the cats would do if those chickens were out & about - they're pretty big brds now - but I suspect that watching them is enough.

My cats like to watch the chicks but don't do much more than watch. Every once in a while the male cat will lift a paw like he's going to bonk one but then he thinks better of it.

Cats will take a young chick or small chicken in a heartbeat if given the chance. But, most cats (key word: most) will not mess with an adult chicken (at least standards). I don't think you need to worry since your coop is enclosed but I'd still keep an eye out just to make sure they find a 'weak' spot.

When I put my chickens outside for the first time they were almost full grown. My run wasn't covered and several of my cats (at different times) jumped down into the run. My chickens literally ran straight at the cats and my cats would madly scramble out of that pen as fast as they could! It would have been a great video.

Anyway, other than my oldest male, non of my cats have ever shown any interest in my chickens since then. They will walk right past the chickens without a second glance, other than to make sure they aren't going to be chased by a chicken. My oldest male (he is neutered) would keenly watch the chickens for a couple of months but finally, he too, gave up and hasn't shown interest since.

Now - I have a momma hen with her new chick. Two days ago, while they were free ranging, I had to run at my cat screaming and grab the cat to keep it from getting that baby chick. Momma hen was doing her best to protect the chick but my cats are barn cats and they are quick. I knew that was possible, which is why I was outside watching while they free ranged. Until that chick is an adult it's not safe without close supervision.

As a bird lover, I just had to throw in my 2 cents.

At the most recent meeting of the National Audubon Society Board of Directors, the cat issue was addressed both as a policy matter and because some Audubon chapters have become involved in the issue in their local communities. After lengthy discussion, the Board voted to adopt a resolution regarding the cat issue. It took the following salient and science-based points into consideration before passing the resolution:

Feral and free-ranging cats kill millions of native birds and other small animals annually;
Birds constitute approximately 20%-30% of the prey of feral and free-ranging domestic cats;
The American Ornithologists' Union, American Association of Wildlife Veterinarians, International Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians, Inc., and the Cooper Ornithological Society have concluded that feral, homeless, lost, abandoned, or free-ranging domestic cats are proven to have serious negative impacts on bird populations, and have contributed to the decline of many bird species. Worldwide, cats may have been involved in the extinction of more bird species than any other cause, except habitat destruction.

I have 16 cats who are of the inside/outside variety and 36 daytime free ranging chickens. I have never lost a chicken including banties to the cats,but don't get me started on dogs. I did have a week old chick that vanished without a trace that I would blame on a cat. Some of the male cats will occasionally run up behind a chicken who will take to the air with the cat running the other way. I think its just playing as the cats do that to the other cats also, well not the flight part but some of them do get a little air time when they get spooked.

Quote:
HEAR! HEAR!!
I had hardly any birds around til the feral cats were dealt with. They were also killing off the native population of rabbits. Now I have cotton tail rabbits, some incredible birds, a lot fewer bugs, and the sweet sounds of birds calling and NOT cats fighting.

BTW neighbors dead cat killed 24 of my chicks at one time. For sport. Chicks were approx. 6-8 weeks old. Shot another of the neighbors dead cats in the act of attacking my full grown goose.

Last edited:
I've lost more chickens over the years to cats than any other predators. I'm a huge cat lover, but I don't ever trust them around my chickens.....no matter the size of the chicken.

I have 7 house cats, none outside. I know, I live on a farm and cats are a real asset but my neighbors just love to get a kitty and not have it altered so we always have cats galore till someone calls animal control.
However, none of these cats ever bother my chickens and the adults watch the chicks well enough to prevent an attack.......so far.
I am betting though that there are cats out there that can do some damage.
Oh, and I love my song birds, too. However, the hawks think I provide feeding stations for them to come collect lunch. I am more worried about hawks getting my chicks than the cats.
barnie.gif

In my experience, it depends on the cat...one neighbourhood cat has run off other cats and herded my birds into their coop and not moved until the other cat left.

And Slifer flogged, and bit and spurred another cat that was going after her sister. Cat never came in the yard again.

Back
Top Bottom