Neighbors dog killed chicken

I'm so terribly sorry for the loss of your beautiful black maran...it's never easy. When you feel you can talk to your neighbor without breaking down into tears, this is what I would say (and have):

"Your dog came over to my property and killed one of my chickens. If he comes onto my property again, he will not return."

Sounds very point-blank and rude, but a scumbag chicken killer is just that...a scumbag. The worst part is this....he will be back now that he knows where chicken dinner is.
I'the owner actually came by after he saw the feathers in his driveway. No apology, just told my dad he would try to keep her home, but if she shows up again, to shoot her, which I will never do. I will pen the dog up and let animal control have her, or take her myself and turn her over for adoption.

I've had many a chicken killed by dogs just since starting my Flock in April , were I live there is no animal control and the cops have told both neighbors that let their dogs run free that if they kill another chicken I have the right to defend my "livestock" .. While I do not think I would shoot shoot a dog .. I may take my sons plastic pellet shooting gun and pop it a few times .. Granted we do have a fence up now so I'm not as worried as they can't just come into my yard now .

Last edited:
I live on 50 acres and most of my "neighbors" are on hundreds. Everyone's dogs seem to be loose but for the most part stay on their own properties. I'm pretty sure I couldn't and wouldn't shoot a dog that killed a chicken(s) of mine but I would certainly threaten too after a chat with my neighbors. I would kill an animal with out explaining to them what happened and giving them an opportunity to rectify the situation. I would get a B&B gun or air gun and warn the dog the next time it came on my property. I don't judge those that could pull the trigger if it continued and I know this is a risk for my 2 dogs if they roamed on someone else's property.

. I would get a B&B gun or air gun and warn the dog the next time it came on my property.
If you're going to shoot at the animal, kill it. Wounding people's pets with an air rifle isn't doing anyone any good (and they can and will do serious damage)

Your dog on your property is Your Pet. Your dog on my property near my chickens/animals becomes a Preditor. If your dog killed/ harassed My Loved Animals, There is one thing I would Never do and That is get on a public Forum and talk about killing your dog. Whether I would kill it or would Not----you Would Never know because I would practice SSS if I did.

Last edited:
Your dog on your property is Your Pet. Your dog on my property near my chickens/animals becomes a Preditor. If your dog killed/ harassed My Loved Animals, There is one thing I would Never do and That is get on a public Forum and talk about killing your dog. Whether I would kill it or would Not----you Would Never know because I would practice SSS if I did.
I am in total, absolute agreement with you @PD-Riverman ...

I think this entire thread has gotten out of control with personal views rather than helpful info for the OP, and I count myself among them. It's very easy to let logical thinking get overrun with emotions.

Each person to HIS OWN .. if you are not a believer in S-S-S fine...if you are a believer in S-S-S fine. I think everyone, including myself, needs to take a deep breath of fresh air and let this thread wither away into the archives.....JMHO
caf.gif

Last edited:
So far, this has been a one-time incident. The dog was welcomed onto OP's property. OP and the neighbor get along well. Under these circumstances, I would have gone to the neighbor, explained the situation, and any one of my neighbors would have offered some compensation. Neighbor has promised to try to keep the dog home. Hopefully he will. OP does need to realize, though, that while free ranging, it's not only the neighbor's dog that they need to worry about. If a friendly dog can get your chickens, so can a coyote or fox. Free ranging does have its risks.

Back
Top Bottom