nest box entry too little?

ygritte

Chirping
Feb 25, 2015
Fort Collins, Colorado
Hey guys,
I bought an a-frame coop, that is a little rough around the edges, but I think will be perfect for my 5 chickens (they are only a week old now, so I have some time to spruce it up). One of my concerns is the size of the entry to the two nesting boxes, it's only about 8 by 8. the box itself is 12 by 11. Is that okay? The previous owners didn't have a roost or any covering on the boxes, so I've planned out how to add that, but need to know if I should make those entrances bigger.
My chickens will be normal to large size (buff orpington, welsumer, amercauna, wyandotte, and jersey giant)

I think you are right that the box entrance is smallish for those breeds. I would also look at making the entire box a bit larger since mine of similar size have trouble with the boxes that are 12x14.

I’ve had full-sized hens use a 6” high x 8” wide nest opening. The nest was maybe 16” off the ground. They just jumped up and in. Your Jersey Giant is not a full-sized hen but is bigger. She’d probably be OK with an 8” x 8” but I haven’t had a chicken that big.

I'd make it bigger, make it easy as possible for them to get in, or you might have to do a daily egg hunt to find where they're laying them. Of course that would give you an unfair advantage at Easter.........
lau.gif

I have all those breeds except the wyandotte and they nest in covered kitty litter boxes. The opening is only 6x8 ish and is 14Lx12Wx14H and I found three of them in one box today.

Last edited:
One of my concerns is the size of the entry to the two nesting boxes, it's only about 8 by 8. the box itself is 12 by 11. Is that okay?
Give it a try before you change anything. Most hens like a small cramped dark area to lay their eggs. If you find the nest boxes hard to clean or "NOT" being employed then take action. If it is not broken do not fix it is my advise.

Give it a try before you change anything. Most hens like a small cramped dark area to lay their eggs. If you find the nest boxes hard to clean or [COLOR=FF0000]"NOT"[/COLOR] being employed then take action. If it is not broken do not fix it is my advise.

I like it. I'll have to see if I can make my other changes easily removable as well, just in case I want to change it... Otherwise it'll be a huge pain.

Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it goes :)

I'd make it bigger, make it easy as possible for them to get in, or you might have to do a daily egg hunt to find where they're laying them. Of course that would give you an unfair advantage at Easter.........:lau

I'll be embarrassing 5 year olds to tears! Happy Easter!! Haha... Hmmm, maybe I should get my nephews (3 and 7years) to do the daily hunt, then they could really show off, impress the ladies with their mad egg finding skills.

Back
Top Bottom