Nesting box placement

We inherited this wonderful coop from my friends father and I’m wondering if the nesting boxes are too high or will work just fine? I haven’t seen a set up like this and I am new to chickens.
I think they are too high....and need front lips 4-6" to keep bedding and egg in place....and you only need a couple nests for the few birds you have.

I’m also worried that since they are free range around the yard all day they may just lay their eggs under a bush somewhere. Yesterday and today I heard one of the ladies making all kinds of noise, but didn’t find an egg.
A distinct possibility.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Here's some tips on heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

I think that is where they are supposed to go in the winter to sleep?
The coop is oddly wide open.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1597783182522.png

Thanks AArt,

There is a lip in front of the box now that is 3.5 inches. I added a picture.

I have updated my location, we are in North East Georgia. I may need to add some more panels for the winter to keep them warm. It is a bit warm right now during the day and they have found their favorite spot under a bush. I ordered some all weather curtains that I will hang on the sides of the coop to keep the sun out for them and give them some privacy. Maybe they will spend more time during the day in there?

If I end up having to lock them up in the coop for a week should I let the roosters out or should I lock them up too? They all get along well, I think it's because they have so much property to roam and keep out of each others way. There have been a couple times I've seen them get after one another though and would hate for them to get angry at each other while being in lock down.

Thanks again for your help :)

I think they are too high....and need front lips 4-6" to keep bedding and egg in place....and you only need a couple nests for the few birds you have.

A distinct possibility.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Here's some tips on heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

The coop is oddly wide open.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2296025

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 2.49.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 2.49.36 PM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
Mine prefer their nest boxes low but off the ground and the perches are higher, on several levels along with lots of perches in their enclosed pen for when they aren’t in the garden. I also have a dust bath, scratch area, mobile perch stand.
BFB8AF1B-CA24-472F-B837-1B3D9216DC02.jpeg
39DD7AD7-B3E4-44CB-BAC6-A8FED1587E64.jpeg

As long as they have good access to the nest boxes the height is not critical, but as stated the roost tray does need to be the highest place in the coop. They naturally go high to roost.

TWG

Thanks Texas Wine Guy, we are also big loves of wine. That’s why we moved to N. GA they have some great vineyards up here!!

Thanks for giving me a different point of view in regards to the nesting boxes. I spoke to the daughter of the man that built it and she said his chick did lay eggs in there. I guess time will tell. They are currently roosting above the nesting boxes. I guess now my concern is if they lay during the day will they come back to the box? They are still only 18 weeks so I guess I should just relax have a glass of wine and take in all the great advise I am receiving from BYC.com

Cheers 🍷

WOW!! Those are some fancy nesting boxes! I installed plywood on bottom backside of our coop yesterday. I’m considering buying a couple premade nesting boxes to mount to it. I haven’t seen the boxes you have though! I live your entire chicken setup, those are some lucky chickens. I feel like I keep putting things in our coop and then they go hang out under a bush. Ungrateful lil chickens.

Mine prefer their nest boxes low but off the ground and the perches are higher, on several levels along with lots of perches in their enclosed pen for when they aren’t in the garden. I also have a dust bath, scratch area, mobile perch stand.View attachment 2297487View attachment 2297495

MOST of the time, yes, they will come back to the nest box to lay. A stray here and there in the bushes, yes, but it's instinctive to go to the nest box.

Also, keep in mind you do not need separate individual nesting boxes. A "communal" large box is easily shared by a large number of hens. That's what I did with my setup - a single 48 x 24" nest box. They share, and it's easier for me to clean one surface rather than a handful of individual boxes.

TWG

MOST of the time, yes, they will come back to the nest box to lay. A stray here and there in the bushes, yes, but it's instinctive to go to the nest box.

Also, keep in mind you do not need separate individual nesting boxes. A "communal" large box is easily shared by a large number of hens. That's what I did with my setup - a single 48 x 24" nest box. They share, and it's easier for me to clean one surface rather than a handful of individual boxes.

TWG

ok super, thanks for the positive feed back. We inherited this set up so was just hoping it would work for the flock. We want happy chickens. They do enjoy hanging out in the box below the 4 individual nesting boxes so maybe they will decide to lay there instead? Again time will tell. Thanks again :)

WOW!! Those are some fancy nesting boxes! I installed plywood on bottom backside of our coop yesterday. I’m considering buying a couple premade nesting boxes to mount to it. I haven’t seen the boxes you have though! I live your entire chicken setup, those are some lucky chickens. I feel like I keep putting things in our coop and then they go hang out under a bush. Ungrateful lil chickens.
It‘s constantly changing lol! I did have regular boxes in my old coop but i adapted this potting shed into a coop and couldnt get the boxes right and also wanted easily maintained. With these I can just unslot them from the wall for cleaning and they‘ll last forever. They‘re only held on the wall with 4 screws and you just slot them over the screws so easy to move if i need to. The hens took to them right away

Back
Top Bottom