Nesting boxes

Dannyrich

Hatching
May 14, 2018
Hi All,

I’ve been an owner of chickens in my garden for the last few years, I’m based in the UK and we have our share of rain. The rain leads to mud and and the mud leads to dirty nesting boxes and living conditions which I find hard to keep on top of. We have 8 chickens and I often find that after a day or so it’s full of mud and the eggs are dirty. Though I don’t mind cleaning them it’s better all round if the eggs are cleanish to start with.

Anyway, I decided that I would put some of the Amazon boxes we receive to good use and let the girls lay their eggs in there. As bedding material I decided to replace straw with bedding pellets for horses (made from compressed sawdust) I guess the cat litter pellets would work also. All I can say is that it has revolutionised my cage management and the boxes are spotless, if a chicken fouls in the box the I just use a small scoop to get it out, then weekly I just throw the pellets in the chickens coop where it breaks down in the soil once it rains.

Same goes for the bottom tray in the hen house. I’ve found the whole setup is much dryer and much more manageable.

Hope this helps anyone else struggling with the mud!

Hi and welcome! We're so glad you joined us :)
Its so great you found a way for people to have clean nest boxes!:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom