Nesting material

Sam peoples

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2022
I have some chickens that are pretty young, probably started laying 3-4 months ago. Well recently they have started to kick all of the nesting material (straw) out of the nesting boxes. Then when they lay eggs the eggs break because the chickens have kicked all the straw out of the nesting boxes. Then they’re all up there eating the broken egg. I don’t know what I should do. Should I try using shavings instead of the straw?

I have some chickens that are pretty young, probably started laying 3-4 months ago. Well recently they have started to kick all of the nesting material (straw) out of the nesting boxes. Then when they lay eggs the eggs break because the chickens have kicked all the straw out of the nesting boxes. Then they’re all up there eating the broken egg. I don’t know what I should do. Should I try using shavings instead of the straw?
They will usually scratch the shavings out too, the only thing that they cant really remove from the boxes is nesting mats. I have to refill hay like every 3 days to keep the eggs clean.

We like to use soft, long strand Orchard Grass Hay because it's so easy to form a bowl out of that doesn't come apart easily, and the hens like it.
I just swirl it around in a circle and push down in the middle a bit, and Ta Da! They don't seem to feel the need to improve the nest. Plus, I no longer get stabbed by sharp pokey straw ends.
It's important to change Hay frequently, so it doesn't get moldy, but that's a good idea for clean eggs anyway.

Try earth covered with some straw if your nesting boxes are on the ground and can take the weight. Easiest may be to cut a turf the size of the nest box floor. About 4 to 5 inches has worked for me in the past.

The scratching is about trying to make a hollow in the nest in which to lay their eggs.
This article explains some of the problems.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...e-make-a-sitting-hens-job-so-difficult.74389/

Ok thank you. It is very weird because they don’t seem to be scratching to change around the nest, more just to scratch and look for things. That’s why I’m thinking I’ll try shavings which is already what I have down on the coop floor so they might be used to it and not scratch it up? That’s what I’m hoping at least.

Back
Top Bottom