Nevadans?

wee.gif
Got the chickens to lay their eggs back in the nest boxes today!
YAY! do you still have your ducks?

Hey everyone, I've been reading everywhere about giving your chickens pumpkins as a treat. All said to just chop the pumpkin in half and let them have at it. But when I read about using pumpkin seeds as a dewormer, most said to use hulled seeds. Sooo, aren't they eating the hull when they eat the pumpkin? Is it safe for them to eat the hull? Just curious what you all have experienced! :)

Hey everyone, I've been reading everywhere about giving your chickens pumpkins as a treat. All said to just chop the pumpkin in half and let them have at it. But when I read about using pumpkin seeds as a dewormer, most said to use hulled seeds. Sooo, aren't they eating the hull when they eat the pumpkin? Is it safe for them to eat the hull? Just curious what you all have experienced! :)
I always just let them eat whatever they want. When I was little my dad was the one who taught me about the chickens, then after that they were my responsibility. He never read up on them or anything, to him they were just eggs and meat, and I came from generations of that. So chickens got ALL the scraps, haha. I've fed the flock things that I not have heard is bad for them (like potato skins..who knew?) but as far as I can tell, I've never seen any ill effects either health or production wise. My hens are kind of gross though, they eat the nastiest stuff. God forbid the mayhem that becomes of one of them finding a mouse nest.

fancylad, super cute pullets!!! <3

Seth, I don't have any breeder pens right now, but I certainly want to make some once I get more resources. Unfortunately, right now I'll probably be redoing the whole main chicken pen because my mom has decided she wants her garden where they are at now. :] How many breeder pens should I have? There's probably a ton of things you can teach me here, because I don't know a whole lot about it except for what I have read. Breed wise, I really love game birds, but ones that I don't have to dub, because that's just plain outdated cruelty in my eyes.

I always just let them eat whatever they want. When I was little my dad was the one who taught me about the chickens, then after that they were my responsibility. He never read up on them or anything, to him they were just eggs and meat, and I came from generations of that. So chickens got ALL the scraps, haha. I've fed the flock things that I not have heard is bad for them (like potato skins..who knew?) but as far as I can tell, I've never seen any ill effects either health or production wise. My hens are kind of gross though, they eat the nastiest stuff. God forbid the mayhem that becomes of one of them finding a mouse nest.

Seth, I don't have any breeder pens right now, but I certainly want to make some once I get more resources. Unfortunately, right now I'll probably be redoing the whole main chicken pen because my mom has decided she wants her garden where they are at now. :] How many breeder pens should I have? There's probably a ton of things you can teach me here, because I don't know a whole lot about it except for what I have read. Breed wise, I really love game birds, but ones that I don't have to dub, because that's just plain outdated cruelty in my eyes.
We could definatly split a project if you wished as I have access to incubator and nice quality birds. If you don't want to dub Single comb clean legged mabye?

We could definatly split a project if you wished as I have access to incubator and nice quality birds. If you don't want to dub Single comb clean legged mabye?
I have an incubator too, so we could do some real hatching. ^^ I wouldn't mind splitting a project, I think it would be fun! I'll probably start out with just one breeder cage and cull the ones I don't like. Where do you get your birds? And what kind of game birds do they have?
Actually, what projects do you have going right now?

I have an incubator too, so we could do some real hatching. ^^ I wouldn't mind splitting a project, I think it would be fun! I'll probably start out with just one breeder cage and cull the ones I don't like. Where do you get your birds? And what kind of game birds do they have?
Actually, what projects do you have going right now?
All game birds MUST be dubbed to show so the closest thing you will get is single comb clean legged bantams like Bantam rocks, orpingtons, and leghorns. I know several Califronia breeds who know even more breeders and so on from there haha. I show a lot too so I meet a lot of people. I can get nice games it is just they all have to be dubbed. I currently have Bantam Dark Cornish, Silkies, and Bantam wyandottes in Sliver laced but am getting into whites and golden laced. I have the birds for a LF cochin and LF wheaten amercuana project.

Pumpkin seeds are great for de-worming chickens and you can feed them whole to them, they will breakdown in their systems.

Thank you both! I'll definitely be picking up a few extra pumpkins from the patch tomorrow. I feed my ladies potato skins all the time... maybe I should stop? lol! I figured it was ok because they loved them. I heard about them eating pinky mice, grossed me out reading about it, lol! I know I was really shocked when I was next to the run one time, a spider came out of nowhere, I panicked of course, but my barred rock just reached out and ate it! Chickens are just full of surprises, I'm so glad I finally got my first flock this spring
love.gif

All game birds MUST be dubbed to show so the closest thing you will get is single comb clean legged bantams like Bantam rocks, orpingtons, and leghorns. I know several Califronia breeds who know even more breeders and so on from there haha. I show a lot too so I meet a lot of people. I can get nice games it is just they all have to be dubbed. I currently have Bantam Dark Cornish, Silkies, and Bantam wyandottes in Sliver laced but am getting into whites and golden laced. I have the birds for a LF cochin and LF wheaten amercuana project.
I was talking more along the lines of oriental games. Breeds like Aseels, Shamos, and Malays..you don't dub those, because there's not much there to dub. I might also pursue cochins, or OEG and just show the females. When Stockton comes around, I'll probably pick a breed from the show and buy the parent birds, then contact other breeders online for eggs.
Where do you show?

Thank you both! I'll definitely be picking up a few extra pumpkins from the patch tomorrow. I feed my ladies potato skins all the time... maybe I should stop? lol! I figured it was ok because they loved them. I heard about them eating pinky mice, grossed me out reading about it, lol! I know I was really shocked when I was next to the run one time, a spider came out of nowhere, I panicked of course, but my barred rock just reached out and ate it! Chickens are just full of surprises, I'm so glad I finally got my first flock this spring
love.gif
Haha I was just creepin on your pics, I love your flock pictures.
smile.png
Once you start, you never stop. It's like chicken heroin.

Seth! Inspiration just struck, I might do blue quail d'Anvers. Do you know anything about this breed? I had one once, awesome girl!!

Back
Top Bottom