Never ending swarming pesty FLIES!!!!!!

mrscrabtree92

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
I've read some things on how to get rid of flies but want to know your ideas and what works for yall. We are going to do a 6ft long planter box with different herbs and plants but the flies are so bad in the run and i dont know what to do please someone help

Homemade trap advice say to bait with other things, but I find the commercial baits the best and I've never had any luck with anything I've tried to try and save money.  The commercial baits stink and the flies just love them.

A good DIY recipe is fish emulsion, water and a little diced up raw shrimp (or other raw fish) to top it off...

Fly predators are very effective at minimizing flies around horse barns. They kill the immature fly before it has a chance to mature and they are so tiny you don't even see them. Many horse supply sites such as Valley Vet carry them and pack of 5000 will set you back about 20 bucks. Might be worth a try...no chemicals and no monitoring traps.

I do a mixture of things.

I get these at the local feed store to hang around the yard. http://www.walmart.com/ip/17134651?...72210191&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=84454090031&veh=sem

Inside the coop I sprinkle lavender and rosemary in the nest boxes and sprinkle a little around the floor. I mix oregano and cayenne into all the feed. (the cayenne is for ants more than anything though)

I use sand and pdz in the poop decks and scoop poop every other day as well.

There are still flys, but none in the coop and they are not huge swarms of them.

Go to the feed store and get fly traps, not the sticky kind but the kind they fly in and can't get out. I use them around our yard and where our stallion is and they work great.

I've read some things on how to get rid of flies but want to know your ideas and what works for yall.

Get some chickens, they love to eat flies!

Seriously though: ours will high grade and only eat crumbles, sometimes side to side with the flies. On occasion I will get irritated enough and not refill the feeder until around noon. As if by magic, no flies! Nobody is starving, they just have to work a little harder for food.

Past that: fly bags, extreme sanitation, removing your neighbors horses, etc..

DE is also a wonderful tool if you have flies that won't come near enough to the chickens. Just sprinkle a generous amount around the area and they desiccate in a few hours or so.

Get some chickens, they love to eat flies!

Seriously though: ours will high grade and only eat crumbles, sometimes side to side with the flies.  On occasion I will get irritated enough and not refill the feeder until around noon.  As if by magic, no flies!  Nobody is starving, they just have to work a little harder for food.

Past that: fly bags, extreme sanitation, removing your neighbors horses, etc.. 

DE is also a wonderful tool if you have flies that won't come near enough to the chickens.  Just sprinkle a generous amount around the area and they desiccate in a few hours or so.

Our chickens are the reason we have flies... They go after the poop

Back
Top Bottom