NEVER ORDER FROM IDEAL POULTRY

It is freezing outside. The best time to order is in the spring or fall. In the winter they will freeze, in the summer they will die of heat. Postal trucks are unheated and uncooled. When you order during these seasons there will be mortality. It is sad. It takes a couple days usually for chicks and ducklings to reach their destination. These babies have to endure all of the bad weather with no food or water. I don't believe live animals should be shipped in these conditions, but they are.

I agree with ducksinarow. Hatcheries should not ship in conditions that they know can be dangerous for they young birds. However, this thread has reminded me of some very important advice that my grandfather left me with..."never bet against the stupidity of the human race".

Last edited:
But first, I would go straight to Ideal Poultry and demand a complete refund along with a lengthy apology.  This is just disgraceful...and some people on here wonder why some BYC users have a bias against hatcheries...well maybe it is instances like these that make us wonder just exactly how absent-minded their employees are and what standards they hold themselves to.  Sorry you experienced this Finny.  I can't lie, I have heard complaints and seen some pretty stupid mistakes by hatcheries, but this takes the cake.  11 dead chicks in an order of ducks is atrocious.  

Yes I contacted the farm through a phone call first and I explained what had happened. They said it was just their shipping standard and they would refund me for the dead duckling. But to me this does not make up what had happened to those poor chicks and duckling:(

So you are saying that this is a practice. Well, then, I pose a question. What if the buyer does not want Roosters?????????? If I have a rooster my town will confiscate my flock, so I would not appreciate being surprised with 11 of them!

They're called "packing peanuts," usually extra baby roosters. Most hatcheries do this. I have always had mine survive during transit, but occasionally there is mishandling by the postal service along the way and a driver will leave the box in the truck in cold temps overnight. You are right that there should have at least been a heating pad or something in the box with them. Hatcheries do this en masse every year. I have had a lot of dead boxes of babies from other hatcheries, though not from Ideal Poultry yet. So sorry that yo

So you are saying that this is a practice. Well, then, I pose a question. What if the buyer does not want Roosters?????????? If I have a rooster my town will confiscate my flock, so I would not appreciate being surprised with 11 of them!

I didn't say that it was a good idea, just that it's common practice. I think it's disgusting.

And it is not just Ideal Poultry, but nearly every hatchery, including Meyer. Ideal states that they will ship extra chicks in with poultry orders that are under certain #'s of birds, in cold weather, so everyone can huddle together.

Most hatcheries tell you that if you do not want roosters, you mention that in the comments section. Some will also make sure that if you specifically order all pullets that they do not ship roosters as packing peanuts, only extra pullets.

I just placed an order with Ideal for 20 ducks. I asked for shipping date on March 3. I have never ordered from a hatchery, but I understand it is common practice to include additional chicks so they can huddle together to keep warm. Before bashing a hatchery, remember that these are people who own a business and they must take care of their poultry or they would have no business. I am sure that they didn't intentionally send those chicks to their death. Ideal has been in business a long time and if they didn't do business the right way, they soon wouldn't have any business. I am sorry that you opened up a box with dead chicks in it, but a "full" box is 20, less than that and yes, they will place additional chicks inside in an effort to get them to you warm and alive.

As for getting a box full of roosters, I can't have roosters either. I have bought straight run from individuals and butchered the roos at about 3 months, before they started to crow. Chicken that you have raised yourself is very good and you have the satisfaction of knowing what they ate and how they were cared for. Myself, I would be glad to get a box of "free" roosters. (preferably alive, but you didn't pay anything for them anyhow)

There are many, many people who would not be easily able to buy chicks or ducklings, were it not for hatcheries. Hatcheries do us a valuable service and I am glad to have that option. I ordered ducklings from Ideal because even though the local feed store has ducklings, they are mixed and even the feed store employees don't know what they have. I wanted specific breeds, so I was happy to order from Ideal. I am sure that if there is a problem, Ideal will make it right. I am looking forward to receiving my order.

I hope that you can get over the shock of opening the box with dead chicks in it and realize that Ideal is trying to do the best they can. It is easy to blast somebody when something does go wrong, it is much harder to take it back. I am sorry that you had to go through this and please don't be offended by what I have said. I am merely trying to point out that sometimes things go wrong, no matter what you do. Shipping live animals has its inherent risks and it amazing the job that hatcheries do.

They shipped the roosters trying to help your ducks arrive alive that's not cruel.raise and eat them before they crow. sell them for a buck to reptile store as snake food. No one wants The rooster chicks so they grind then up for chick food at some places as soon as they hatch. At least ideal's way some could end up on a farm. No one intended for them to die just a matter of perspective depending on how you look at it.

I think it was pitiful that a well known hatchery would even consider shipping in the extreme temps the USA is having right now. So sorry Finny and very sorry for the lives of those baby chicks and ducklings doesn't matter if they are roosters or not they are still a living being and did not deserve that fate.

What kind of ducks did you order, and were generally are you located (hatcheries use other locations that they have breeders that raise for them, as well as their main facilities)? they seem pretty hardy to arrive alive in this season, especially where the roos didn't (yes i know one or two ducklings can stay as warm as half to dozen chicks), why wouldn't hatcheries send extra male ducklings with duck order box? seems all the chicks coulda damaged those few duckings..

Last edited:
Reputable and respectable hatcheries and breeders won't ship in bad weather/seasons.

There is a clue who not to order from next time.. and very sorry for the needless losss of live so horribly (freezing to dead is a bad way to go)

Back
Top Bottom