NEVER ORDER FROM IDEAL POULTRY

My experience with 'mypetchicken' was very good. I ordered a dozen - there were no 'peanuts'! This may be common practice, but if other hatcheries do not utilize this practice, why can't it be an industry standard? It is sad when even one life is treated as 'disposable' - look how far we've come from the cave.........

Just a couple quick observations/comments. I know a lot of people feel like hatcheries shouldn't ship in cold weather, but I do think it's a pretty tall ask of them to be meteorologists. I'm not sure how feasible it would be to have someone tracking the shipping routes of every order and the weather patterns along the way. As someone else suggested, do YOUR due diligence and check the weather to/from the hatchery of choice. If YOU aren't comfortable with the climate, then hold off and try to order another time.

Second, I'd much rather go to a local breeder or poultry show and purchase direct. Some of us simply don't have that option. My interest now is in Welsh Harlequins, and the only source I'm finding after days of scouring the web is the hatchery. My approach, as I'm not entirely comfortable with shipping live animals, is to try to find a) the most reputable breeder who is b) closest to my geographical location, figuring c) faster shipping times and less travel/stress. It's not perfect, but it's what I got.

Finally, I found this thread incredibly informative. I've been reading elsewhere about people ordering straight run ducklings or an assortment and receiving additional ducklings. It never occurred to me that I could open up a shipment of ducklings and find a dozen roosters. I'm now wondering what the threshold is for shipping. I'm planning on 6 ducklings. I've seen other companies advertising shipping as few as three with no mention of additional chicks for warmth.

A full box is 15 to 20 ducklings. Less than these numbers and you could get packing peanuts. You live in CA and Meter Farms is probably the closest to you of the waterfowl hatcheries. They can pack a heated pad with your ducklings and grow gel if you purchase it. The shorter the distance from farm to your house the better for the babies. Read the fine print before you buy. Not all hatcheries add chicks but some do to keep the others warmer.

First of I dont do mail order chicks, or ducklings. But why would you order this time of year?? ? Those packing peanuts kept your ducklings alive. Most hatcheries do this.. . Its in there fine print if you look. Those are male sex links I think. .. you will get no where reporting them, let it go. And go local.

Yes i realize i over-reacted and ideal is not to blame. I ordered from metzer this time of year last year and the two ducklings i ordered arrived safe a sound because metzer added a heat pack and the box was insulated. I just expected ideal to be the same which was the wrong thing to do. I did not read the fine print, and i have learned my lesson about that.

Finny, sorry to hear of your ordeal with Ideal. I understand the need for warmth with our orders, but I do not understand why they sent chicks with your ducks. We received our first ducks from Ideal in Dec. Luckily there were no chicks or extras included. However, when our chick order arrived in Jan there were 9 warmer chicks. three of them were weak right out of the box but the girls we paid for were are doing very well. Our only losses have been warmers. I think it's kinda like using a human shield but they did serve a purpose.

As stated, with some hatcheries, if you order a small number of birds they fill the box with unwanted birds (usually sexed roosters) to help keep the birds you ordered warm.

Chick boxes cannot be insulated as that would prevent the box from being properly ventilated. Though some places will add a heat pack this time of the year for an extra fee.

It looks like it was clearly too cold and they never should've been shipped. But the thing with Ideal, is that they are not an actual hatchery, but a middleman. I am pretty sure that most of the breeds they have listed on their site they get from other places. So chances are, they spent a little longer in transit, which on top of the cold, caused them to die off so easily.

You would be best to buy more local next time, or wait and order in spring and fall to avoid the weather extremes (too hot and too cold)

i was thinking of ordering from there but now i dont now if i wan to but i do now if they ever did his to me i would be giving them a very big peace of my mind

i was thinking of ordering from there but now i dont now if i wan to but i do now if they ever did his to me i would be giving them a very big peace of my mind
this rarely happens chicks or duckling normally make to their new homes just fine with no trouble. i have ordered from Ideal three times and have never doa chicks or lost any chicks once they were here and the chicks are always super healthy and active. it also was not a very good time of year to order such few ducklings so that is part of the problem too. this rarely happens..so find a hatchery thats decently close to you and then order from there and your chicks/ducklings will more then likely be absolutely fine

I received my duckling order from Ideal 3-6-2014. I ordered 20, 17 Pekins and 3 Runner ducks. They were all alive and healthy. It is a week and 3 days later and they are all growing like mad. I am very happy with Ideal and I got good customer service. I would order from them again.

Back
Top Bottom