Never though I would have to rite about my own dog in the pest section

When you adopt a pet you commit to giving them the best life possible. That doesn’t necessarily mean with you. People move, have children, add new pets into the mix, etc. Situations change and sometimes the pets we love so very much simply cannot adapt for whatever reason. You said you have already tried very hard to train Roxy, but it isn’t working. At this point keeping her would be putting her in a no-win situation. There is absolutely nothing wrong with rehoming a dog under these circumstances. The important thing is that you love her enough to see this and are willing to break your own heart to give her a chance at a better life. That’s admirable, not something to feel badly about. I really feel for you and wish you the best of luck in finding her a great new home.

Quote:
What? That is just crazy...if the dog is going through high voltage fences to chase animals and going through windows to get at them...the dog is a nuisance. Re-homing her would be giving your problem to someone else or another neighborhood.

OP - I am so sorry about your ducks and you having to get rid of the dog...I agree with your decision though...the dog is a nuisance. Make sure you tell them or call them and tell them that she is a animal aggressive dog.

First, give it 24 hours to make sure you're not making a decision in anger. Once you calm down a bit, explore your options. Besides rehoming (which can be really tough with adult dogs; let's face it, most folks want pups) or the pound (know that she will most likely be put down; once again, most folks don't want a dog that caused problems for someone else), what can you do at home? Is a covered kennel for the dog an option (sounds like she'd climb out of one that wasn't covered? If/when the dog is inside with you for the night, leashing her or crating her (or just keeping windows mostly shut)?? Or tightening up security w/your birds, finding a way to cover their runs??
I'm certainly not judging, because I've been there myself with a dog (not w/chickens, but w/a cat and a pup) and I know the resentment and anger that can be felt. I even considered euthanasia, because I felt that would be a kinder option than the dog possibly ending up in a bad home. Good luck! I hope you make the right decision for you and your dog (and your birds).
hugs.gif

I agree with Cetawin. One day Roxy will get out and chase the farmer's cows and what if the cow went down from exhaustion and dies??????? That would be a big hit in the pocket book and it will happen again.

Unless she is good about being tree to tree (or tree to house) line tethered, you can put a harness on her, snap her up to the line and she can only go so far, unless she is super powerful that she can snap the lines. That would not be a good idea.

I agree if the dog is a nuisance, a time bomb to kill or chase anything to its death and it is the owners responsibilty to maintain control and security for the pet. If they can not do it, then it is kinder to rehome or put down (sorry, its true, too many shelters putting animals down).

Wow....this one sucks. First off
hugs.gif
sorry you have lost some of your babies.

I can see both sides of this one because I have high prey drive dogs that I have had to put hundreds of hours into training them. And when I say hundreds I truely mean hundreds and still counting.

I've come home to find that my pitbull girl tore through the coop (which I thought was preditor proof) and slaughtered half of my flock. As ticked as I was I can see the point that was made...which animal did you have first. I had my pit first so it is my obligation as her owner to provide her with the best environment possible. Yet I wanted chickens too. My only choice was to put my all into training her. If it works...awsome. If it doesn't, then I have to remove the things that are causing her to fail...my chickens/ducks.

Right now, she is much better. I still don't trust her alone with my flock...maybe someday. My question is this...Is there a professional that you can hire to help your dog? Or is there someone who would take her and provide her with a great environment? It sounds like she definitly needs to be used to her potential. Maybe trained as a hunting dog where her prey drive is useful. Just please don't drop her off at the pound. Its sad to see a dog put down because they are being dogs.

I just dont dont think any dog is a "nuisance" when they have owners that care and are willing to work to fix a problem.

Quote:
I think it was big of you to apologize.
thumbsup.gif
We all have our own strong beliefs and I think we have all got ahead of ourselves and said something when we see something that really goes against our beliefs. We have all come across harsh when we didn't mean to. We have all been guilty of that a time or two.

Quote:
if the dog has been extensivly trained and is breaking threw windows to still get at things then its honestly not a safe dog to have. dogs just like humans and other animals can be wired wrong in the head. your assumption that because YOUR dogs trained easily that the op isen ttrainign her right or doing enough sets me on edge.

Quote:
if the dog has been extensivly trained and is breaking threw windows to still get at things then its honestly not a safe dog to have. dogs just like humans and other animals can be wired wrong in the head. your assumption that because YOUR dogs trained easily that the op isen ttrainign her right or doing enough sets me on edge.

Hey... ScaredOfShadows apologized... let it go...

ps: That's the bad thing about "talking" on line... you can't hear the tone or see the face and body language...
sad.png

Did you try beating the dog? Sounds terrible but it works. I will stand by it and I know many people that it has worked for as well. And if done correctly it only takes 1 time and the dog will never mess with the livestock again.

I also have two high prey driven hunting dogs. A Standard Poodle I've had since her birth and a German Shorthaired Pointer, my son's hunting dog. The GSP killed the first chicken and I can't really blame her for doing what she was bred and trained to do. My stupid mistake by leaving a small crack in the door open and wham...small escapee was nailed. GSP was scolded and now doesn't go near the run. On the otherhand, my SP..well, she is the totally obsessed and has stalked and killed 3 young birds. Both about 4-5 weeks old. I can't and won't get rid of, pass her off or otherwise to someone else. I've had her for 11 years and I comitted myself to her when I brought her home. Just as any of my animals. Our solution has been to let the dogs out in the day, until about 3pm, then switch and let the chickens and ducks out into the yard for the remainder of the day. They have a pretty good sized fenced run so it's not like they are inside all day. No this isn't the ideal situation, but we have decided it's what works for us right now. When the time comes that our two "hunting" dogs are no longer with us, then we will get a dog that is considered to be a flock guardian instead of a flock stalker.

Back
Top Bottom