New 19 week old pullets - signs of stress/not using roosts?

Pics
That coop is lovely! My only question is do they feel safe and snuggly with all the windows? Are their roost bars in a quiet dark corner? While we're at it, smooth 2 x 3's or 2 x 4's actually make the best roost bars, chickens don't actually love round bars, and prefer to have their feet flat and their bodies fluffed over their feet.

Sometimes the pullets just haven't taken the time to read the manual -- TLDR! I think Mother Nature - weather, atmospheric conditions, etc. also play a large role in laying patterns, beyond stress. Some pullets (of a breed) will start laying and it sometimes takes weeks for their sisters to join in. Is that because many modern breeds are hybrids? just normal genetic variation? I wouldn't know for sure.

It really seems like you are in tune with your ladies. Have faith, stop worrying, give them to 22 or so weeks before you start to panic. They do look like Reds, who usually lay early, but with all the love and great care you are giving, I'm sure they will be fine. I'm not an expert, I've only had poultry for 10 years, but as a 4-H Leader, I do a LOT of research. I think BackYard Chickens is one of the best places to go for information and advice. Good luck!

Your chickens will know what to do. You don't need to teach them to roost. They will roost when ready. Chickens adapt very quickly to new situations. Having a lot of contact with them is great. It will make catching and handling them much easier in the future for vet checks and so. Instincts are very prevalent in poultry species and they know what to do from the time they hatch from the egg on through until they reach maturity. Young chickens huddle together rather than roost for security and also to stay warm. Just keep your chickens well fed and most importantly keep fresh, clean water available at all times. I'm sure your chickens will produce at at high level when nature tells them it is time because you seem to be very attentive to their needs. Good cluck.

I use a medium size animal trap. I place a bowl of dog food in the cage and then haul them off int a forst . I you go several miles away they as a rul stay in that area.

The marketing is maybe a little silly but the research and legwork done on it is well founded.
Indeed it is.
I agree with chickens needing animal protein...but wonder how much is really in there, what the source is, and how it may affect shelf life??

I like their CYA:
"Feed Purina® Layena®+ Free Range Layer Feed free-choice as the sole ration to laying chickens after 18 weeks of age and throughout the laying cycle. It is not necessary to provide additional grain or a freechoice calcium source. Layer feeds should not be fed to male birds of any age or to birds less than 18 weeks old. Provide fresh clean water at all times."

Looks like you have a really nice setup. I can't tell for sure what breed these girls are (Rhode Island Red, Production Red, or one of the many red/buff/brown sex-link hybrids, but many hens take up to 23 or 24 weeks before they start laying.

I am in a cold winter climate and chose a fresh air poultry house; we have 4-5 month winters with temperatures that are frequently in the 20Fs and can get much colder. I will not be heating the coop and the design requires the birds to be in the back where the roosts are to get out of the drafts.

Also want to use deep bedding and clear the coop once or twice a year. This is accomplished by keeping their waste confined as much as possible to the drop boards and cleaning that daily.

Our temps "average" mid 20's, 4-5mths out of the year, also. We have never used heat lamps, and we have never lost an adult chicken due to cold.

Our FIRST 2 chickens were housed in a 5x5ft caged in chain link dog kennel. They free ranged during daytime only. Tarp was put over kennel, and repurposed cardboard affixed on the sides u der the tarp covering (seems to work for the homeless right? so..). In the snowy months, STRAW bales were stacked all around the outside (not too much ontop, though.)

Everyday and evening, I brought them a "cereal bowl" of water that likely froze within an hour. I put a battery operated lantern inside to give them some light. The batteries needed to be recharged EVERYday due to the cold. The chickens roost was a vertical, 2 shelf, bookshelf. I obviously knew little about taking care of chickens, but tried go keep them alive.

After yet another 16hr shift at work on one of the coldest nights of the year (75 below with windchill, 35 below no-windchill), I thought for sure they would be dead. My family was tired of helping out with watering them 2x a day in such miserable weather. I was getting tired of it too.

I came home one night about 12 midnight. I pulled up the tarp that was not very flexible due to the cold- it became rigid. I unlatched the gate WITH GLOVES on for fear of hand getting stuck to the metal. With a heavy heart I went to peek inside knowing full well they'd be dead.......
as I peaked on the bookshelf (theyd nestle IN bookshelf), low and behold

WAS MY FIRST EGG!!!!!

P.S. Ive come along way since then...we DO use deep litter, and DONT use poop collection trays anymore. Mice just liked to nest under the poop trays.

We tidy up, and freshen up 2x a year. THE chickens make our mulch. ❤ Our strawberry patch especially loves it!

I CANT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT "TRAILERFRESH" for sanitizing and deodorizing our coops. Its worth the cost, and saves us alot of back breaking work. Its frequently out of stock on amazon. I put my order in and wait, if need be. Its been worth it!

Last edited:
Do you rent out apartments in that coop? One of the nicest ones I have seen. Don't listen to the store clerk. They are def batty. Not all my birds use the roost. But I do see that they like different widths to sit on. They seem to prefer wider boards to sit on rather than narrow ones or perches.

Thank you, the three of us are very pleased with the coop and more especially that the ladies seem very happy with it. Today we have had 3 eggs, 2nd day running; with those we have our first even dozen.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Can anyone (@aart) suggest what the white substance on the one egg is?

I used rough cut 2" by 3" (store bought 2" by 4" are actually 1.5" by 3.5"),wide side up for their roosts, the ladies seem happy with them. We are still moving them from the floor to the roosts each night (two nights one moved herself to the roost including last night) and will continue for some time until them move themselves.

Back
Top Bottom