New addition on our 11 month old unfinshed coop

Pics

ScottandSam

Still learning
6 Years
Dec 24, 2016
Shell Knob, Missouri
That's Right . I was told we had 20 chicks coming around March 2016 and that I needed to build a coop. Of course this was something we had talked about for the last 2 years on and of. I guess the wife was never happy that I did not start on a coop so she figured if she ordered the chickens I would have to build it. So How I started the build was to find a coop online that caught my eye. Since this would be close to the house It had to look better than what I would have put out in the front field.

And then the walls started taking shape.......

I looks back at the pictures and I can't believe how the grass was just filling in only to be gone a few months later. The trees are all black walnut. a few where taken down after this picture and a few more need dropped for the run we will add this summer.

Roof is going on.

these are pics on detailing how I angled the Hip (I think that's the term) of the roof out.

and here is a finished look on the roof and windows and chicken door framing is in.Oh ya they needed a porch like we have on our house:)

This picture Actually shows how close it sits to our house. That is a addition were putting on our house in the back ground. the coop also sits just off the road coming up to the house. Funny thing was the local farmers thought the coop was a office for Samantha.

Now to get to the topic on hand. the first pic is actually me taken off some board for the addition.

And more deconstruction... You also can see 2 more birds that showed up with last years order. Seems Samantha didn't say anything about these till I came home and saw them. Then tried to tell me they were a surprise thing she ordered. Lets just say I came to realize exactly how the showed up.

Here is one of where the geese, from the last picture, have been living. See this whole addition has been nothing more than the geese needing and new place. I have 14 chicks in a pool (pics to come) in my living room. with the 11 left from last year I know I need the whole coops footprint and more.

the door goes in to a room I built for feed and supplies. We shut the door when the siding came off the side . That along with the fact we finished the inside walls of 8' means the coop still protecting the geese and chickens. At lease for now. More to come.

Ok with the siding off the North gable wall. I was able to evaluate the build. I decided it would be easier to re use the existing gable wall in the new addition. This mean I will un-attach it from the existing east and west walls slide it down 8" and then I will only need to build 2 more walls, @ 8' long and tie in the roofline.

And now the new footprint.

The existing coop is 8'W X 6'L and a 10'W x 4'L section. That is 88 sq'. The addition is 10'Wx 8'L so that is another 80 sq'. 40 for the geese and 40 for the chickens. The goal is open the coop up inside and add a wall 4' from the new gable wall in the right of the pic. That wall will be removeable. That way when I can build the geese a separate shelter close to a pond we will be putting in. Or I can remove or slide this wall to the right new gable wall in pic to open up that 40 sq' for more room for additional chicks. Or even leave alone to use the area for smaller chicks till they get ready to be introduced to the flock.
Right now there is a partition wall between the netting boxes and the door that runs front to back.it will be removed. Also a wall and door that goes from the existing partition wall to the gable wall. Behind that door it the little room exposed when the siding came off.

Another pic of the front with our temp run. The chicken now free range 99% of the day and we have lost 9 birds this last year to predators. The run will be built later on to help us not loose so many birds this year.

Another pic viewed from road.

Here is one on the windows. We simple removed the screens then built a frame to and a center bar we painted green. We then installed metal wire across the frame on the back side and up to that green bar screwed in our frame. Then attached that frame to the boards around the window.

The result.....

Today I finally got around and started to remove the overhang and gable wall. I am taking the gable wall and rafters as one piece and moving it to the end of the new addition.

I will be working on it tomorrow and hopefully will get the gable wall moved and 2 new load bearing walls built.

Looks good can't wait to see finished product.

And when you post here you have to include pics of the birds.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom