New addition on our 11 month old unfinshed coop

Love section/profile views, looks nice.
Not sure why you needed to rip it down...I just use plain ole 2x4's, 80grit orbital sanding down any sharp spots/edges.
Course if I had access to the tools you do, I mighta went that way too.
wink.png

I have plain 2x4s too...
this kinda makes me want to take my router to the edges! lol

Quote:
well a lot of it was what I read. lots like the 1.5" side and others like the 3.5" side. I split the difference and made the top of the roost 2.5" wide the figured the section on the bottom would help the now flat laying 2x4 not bow. I saw on it all 200lbs between 2 saw horses. Lol It bowed some.lol

Scott

Last edited:
Quote: All It took was a table saw, a orbital sander on air from a compressor, and a 2x4. Oh for got 80 grit on the orbital sander. and or course screws to screw cut of piece on the bottom and I did use a drill but a regular screw driver would work.

A drill would be a must for this build. I am on my 3rd 5 gallon bucket of screws.

Scott

Well a new job and the addition on house has slowed things down to a stop on the coop. I have planned to make some changes to better enable a deep litter bed. I also have been finishing it in my head every time I drive by it.
For now I do have some pictures of a few of our newest layers. still waiting on a few to lay. we are down to just one rooster to make room for another fbcm rooster any day now.
so here is a dozen of a few different breeds that are currently laying. I can not wait for them to get there normal size.The colors are better outside so I'll update later when they are all laying.

eggs 2nd.jpg
new eggs.jpg

Scott

Lovely!
Yes, the true colors are hard to capture...then all our different screens will skew them anyway....I have found that bright but indirect sunlight is best.

Well summers about gone and things have slowed down enough to get me back on the coop again with lots more ideas. lol

coop57.jpg

and little bondo..........................

coop51.jpg

with it nice and open I was able to add a 15' roost centered in the building. That roost brings us with to 38' of roost.................
coop49.jpg

coop56.jpg

I had to put down freckles our easter egg rooster a few months ago. Next Pics has made it to facebook already. Samantha is convinced freckles still watches over out girls.................................

coop53.jpg

Scott

Ideas I have been kicking around are. adding 5-6 more nesting boxes. We currently have 5. We currently house 24 Chickens in here with 6 chicks that will be joining them in a few weeks. the coop at 168sq ft will hold @ 40 average chickens. I still am planning to get 2x10 installed in doorways and chicken door and sweep out door. That will allow us to start a deep littler bed this winter. I'm hoping we will get a chance to paint the walls and floor, where the wall was, this weekend.
Scott

Another pic viewed from road.

Here is one on the windows. We simple removed the screens then built a frame to and a center bar we painted green. We then installed metal wire across the frame on the back side and up to that green bar screwed in our frame. Then attached that frame to the boards around the window.

The result.....

You might want to cover that top panel of glass with hardware cloth. I have had hawks break glass twice trying to get at the chickens. One killed my rooster. The second time i had wire on the inside so no chickens were killed.

Back
Top Bottom