New addition to the family!

Thnaks for the info, I am trying to do what best for us and the geese.

My understanding is the main threat is at night correct?

I figured the threat level at my place might be low because the wild geese come to hatch thier yourg (2-3 familys). they do loose a couple chicks but for the most part they keep all that has hatched. I guess I will try to build an enclosure close to the pond I can lock them up at night and fugure something out to get it closed before dark.

The geese won't be on the pond all day, they will be foraging grass and such. I'm sure they will love the large pond though. How far from your house is the pond?
I lost a goose during daylight hours so now I keep my goose in a pen until I can be home and keep watch... It's a nice size pen but it took away some of her freedom to roam. I just wish I knew if it was a dog or coyote.

Best of luck and welcome to BYC!

The pond is 50 yards from the house, we are on the west side. There are large pine trees located on the east side. We have a creek that surrounds the property with houses on the back side. The only things I have seen around would be coons and once a fox.

Do ducks stay in the water more than geese?

The pond is 50 yards from the house, we are on the west side. There are large pine trees located on the east side. We have a creek that surrounds the property with houses on the back side. The only things I have seen around would be coons and once a fox.

Do ducks stay in the water more than geese?
Once you put your geese outside protected or not you'll be amazed at the predators you thought you didn't have, and coons and foxes are 2 of the worst preds for water fowl. both swim well too. Roaming dogs come in at top of list to. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/844072/my-beloved-ellie-is-gone

Last edited:
So today one on my geese seems to not want to walk?? He tries to but sits back down after 2 steps? He was fine yesterday, they have a nest with eggs is it a ploy to make me focus on him and not the nest??

Any ideas would be great!

So today one on my geese seems to not want to walk?? He tries to but sits back down after 2 steps? He was fine yesterday, they have a nest with eggs is it a ploy to make me focus on him and not the nest??

Any ideas would be great!
How old are they? did you check him for injuries? what do you feed them? I don't think this has anything to do with the nest.

I have no checked for injuries yet but will. They are a year old or so, I feed then cracked corn and goose feed from TSC.

I gave them some celery tops yesterday morning and added some hay because it's getting really cold here. They are in a pen in my garage but I keep them bedded with hay.

I am concerned with cleaning thier pen seeing they have Suggs and freak out when I go in there.

I have no checked for injuries yet but will. They are a year old or so, I feed then cracked corn and goose feed from TSC.

I gave them some celery tops yesterday morning and added some hay because it's getting really cold here. They are in a pen in my garage but I keep them bedded with hay.

I am concerned with cleaning thier pen seeing they have Suggs and freak out when I go in there.
Can they get any sunshine at all? maybe he is lacking some vitamin D, might try adding some cod liver oil to their feed and see if it makes a difference, also Niacin can you get brewers yeast? that you can sprinkle on their feed or buy 500megs of Plain niacin not time released or flush free just plain and crush the tablet and mix into their water. he is older to be having a niacin dif but it won't hurt to try it and see if it helps too. So your goose is brooding or just laying eggs right now? Probably not an injury if he is confined to a pen in your garage.

Last edited:
She has been sitting on 4 eggs for almost 2 weeks now, she didn't sit on the other 12 she had laid. When we took them she built a best and wouldn't let us have the last 4.

I will try give it a try to see if it helps. The problem is it was so sudden one day good the next doing this??

She has been sitting on 4 eggs for almost 2 weeks now, she didn't sit on the other 12 she had laid. When we took them she built a best and wouldn't let us have the last 4.

I will try give it a try to see if it helps. The problem is it was so sudden one day good the next doing this??
And that is usually how it happens with niacin dif. and I cannot say for sure that's what it is but sure sounds like it. I see your dilemma, when my goose was sitting I would wait for her to go out for her daily R&R then go in and clean, can your geese wander around inside your garage? you could let them out for a bit of exercise then go in and close the door and do your cleaning put down fresh hay etc.

Another thing my wife told me they didn't really drink any water? They usually go through a pail every day we fill it in the morning and the evening. Getting kinda worried about him at this point, possibly her too because we have not seen her off the nest in a while.

Back
Top Bottom