gizzard73

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2021
Hi all!

I recently purchased seven chicks and its probably still a bit early to confirm sexes and breeds for sure but I'd appreciate any help you could provide on this!

I know at least two chicks are not the breed we thought we bought, I now suspect they are Olive Eggers. The others I think match the breed we were sold.

I VERY MUCH suspect at least one of the Unknowns/Olive Eggers is a Roo. I would like to know if any of the others look like Roos too. They're not all the same age, the Unknown/Olive Eggers and the Speckled Sussexes are probably a few weeks older than the Dominique, True Green Whiting, and Buff Orpington.

1. Potential Olive Egger A. I think she's 4-6 weeks old and I think she's female.

IMG-0536.JPG

IMG-0537.JPG

2. Potential Olive Egger B. I think he's 4-6 weeks old and I think he's a Roo.
InkedIMG-0548_LI.jpg

3. Speckled Sussex A. I think she's about 6 weeks old and I think she's female.
InkedIMG-0548_LI2.jpg

4. Speckled Sussex B. I think she's 4-6 weeks old and I think she's female.
InkedIMG-0544_LI.jpg

InkedIMG-0545_LI.jpg

5. Buff Orpington. I think she's 2-4 weeks old and I think she's female.
InkedIMG-0542_LI.jpg

InkedIMG-0543_LI.jpg

6. Dominique. I think she's 2-4 weeks old and I think she's female.
InkedIMG-0540_LI.jpg

7. True Green Whiting. I think she's 2-4 weeks old and I think she's female.
InkedIMG-0552_LI.jpg

Thanks in advance!

I think 1 is your sussex, it's got the sussex coloring (I've noticed a general trend of the white chest patch on teen chicks!) Looks like a pullet for now

2 possibly olive egger?* Cockerel

3. I think the legs are the wrong color for sussex, can you see what kind of comb it has?

4. Looks like it's got a beard and a pea comb so not a sussex, probably an EE or olive egger* I'm thinking cockerel due to the wideness of the comb

5. The feathers look white to me... Can you get photos of it in natural sun / natural light?

6. Looks about right for a Dominique, I'm iffy on gender

7. Many breeds come in this color*

*What breeds did you order? And from where?

#1 is a Sussex pullet
#2 is maybe an OE. Definitely a boy though.
#3 not positive on breed, but I don't think it's a Sussex. She is a pullet though.
#4 definitely not a Sussex. I'm thinking EE or OE. I'm going to say pullet.
#5 I don't think this one is a Buff Orp. The feathers look too white. Also, the comb is looking a little big, and I think I see wattles, which makes me think it might be a boy. More pictures in natural light would be helpful.
#6 is a Dominique. The comb is getting red already, so I'm leaning towards cockerel. Post more pics in a few weeks.
#7 I'm not convinced it's a whiting true green. There are lots of different breeds that look like that. Post some more pics in a few weeks when it has more feathers. This one looks like a girl.

For sexing, I watched a Discover TV show that showed what the commercial hatcheries do. As chicks, spread out a wing and look at the length of the feathers. If they are long short long short, it's a female. If they are all long, it's a male. The farm store I got my chicks from said they pay extra to have them sexed before they are shipped to them, but I had the employee check the wings and I rejected some (I'll never know if those rejected were hens). I'll see eventually what mine turned out to be.

For sexing, I watched a Discover TV show that showed what the commercial hatcheries do. As chicks, spread out a wing and look at the length of the feathers. If they are long short long short, it's a female. If they are all long, it's a male. The farm store I got my chicks from said they pay extra to have them sexed before they are shipped to them, but I had the employee check the wings and I rejected some (I'll never know if those rejected were hens). I'll see eventually what mine turned out to be.
This only works on certain crosses.

Wing sexing does not work on all chicks. Only certain crosses.

Right off the bat some of the breeds are definitely off. Where are they from? Also as for sexing, they're a bit too young, so I just listed who I believe are early blooming cockerels
1-Speckled Sussex
2-Probably Olive Egger? Definitely a cockerel
3/4- honestly look like Russian Orloffs. If hatchery doesn't carry, then they're eggers of some sort
5-might be an egger, might be an Amberlink
6-Dominique and likely cockerel
7-Might be the Whiting True Green, but many breeds have similar appearances

Thanks everyone!! This is really helpful.

So just to clarify I purchased them from a feed store where they were pulled out of boxes.

#1 and 2 were supposed to be Crevecoeur pullets, but I quickly realized they were not. There was one other breed in that bin and I can't remember what it was, so OE was a guess.

#3 and 4 were supposed to be Speckled Sussex pullets. They came out of the same bin, but that bin definitely had one other breed in it.

#5 and #7 came out of the same bin with #5 supposed to be a buff orpington pullet and #7 a True Green Whiting pullet.

#6 came out of a bin that only had Dominique pullets.

I've attached some more photos! I took these outside in natural light so the colors should be better represented.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_0575_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_0575_LI.jpg
    881.5 KB · Views: 11
  • InkedIMG_0584_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_0584_LI.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 11
  • InkedIMG_0585_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_0585_LI.jpg
    846.6 KB · Views: 12
  • InkedIMG_0587_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_0587_LI.jpg