New Breed????????????????

Gorgeous birds. I know nothing about breeding so I can't answer those questions, but I'd buy those if they lay decently and are cold hardy.
Im hoping that they will lay well due to being from good laying chickens and I dont know what colour the eggs will be. What is cold hardy? I have had a week of -5 degrees c and they are doing perfectly fine but thats the lowest I can get it in England.

True breeds breed true (certain genes are iffy
Shame, what is considered a new breed? Would it be from a mutation in one of the genes to make it significantly different. Rather than a mixed breed like what I have.
though like tufts and the creeper gene due to homozygous lethality). If you pair two of yours together, the main things that won't be guaranteed to pass down are the crest and comb type.

How does one make a new colour of spitzhaben? would it just be breeding it with different coloured spitzhaubens? Ill see what happens when I breed these ones together.
You introduce a breed with the desired color snd then breed back to Spitzhauben and siblings until you have birds with both the color and all the Spitzhauben traits

Im hoping that they will lay well due to being from good laying chickens and I dont know what colour the eggs will be. What is cold hardy? I have had a week of -5 degrees c and they are doing perfectly fine but thats the lowest I can get it in England.
I'm familiar with the Plymouth Rock chickens but had to look up the Spitzhauben. From what I read, they should be nice layers. Cold hardy just means they can handle a winter of below-freezing temperatures. I know the Rocks can, but I was unable to find info on the Spitzhaubens for this. But seeing as they are from Switzerland, I would assume they are at least decent in moderate cold weather.

Seems like it would be a great mix of breeds. :) Good luck of you decide to make a project of this!

I'm familiar with the Plymouth Rock chickens but had to look up the Spitzhauben. From what I read, they should be nice layers. Cold hardy just means they can handle a winter of below-freezing temperatures. I know the Rocks can, but I was unable to find info on the Spitzhaubens for this. But seeing as they are from Switzerland, I would assume they are at least decent in moderate cold weather.

Seems like it would be a great mix of breeds. :) Good luck of you decide to make a project of this!
My spitzhaubens do okay out here, which in the negatives most days and nights in the winter

Shame, what is considered a new breed? Would it be from a mutation in one of the genes to make it significantly different. Rather than a mixed breed like what I have.

Creating a breed is a project of many years and many chicken generations.

You have to get a solid breeding population of many birds with enough genetic diversity to be healthy BUT enough consistency to be able to say that "This breed has these characteristics" for every bird AND it has to be enough different from an existing breed to merit separate breed status.

For example, IIRC, it was White Javas that were abandoned as a breed because they were essentially the same as White Rocks in all important characteristics. :)

I have 2 appenzellers as of right now, they do enjoy getting out a lot more and are very flighty birds. They are one of my more recent additions to my main flock and I think they are very nice birds. They are doing well in the cold. Hopefully I can make something out of these new chickens.

Back
Top Bottom