New Breed????????????????

I have had a look over the internet to try and find a chicken same shape and same colour pattern but have found it very hard, I bred these chickens from 2 other breeds. If anyone can find a breed that is the same please do tell me. I hope that it is something different. I breed these by accident. My family and I all think that they are very beautiful chickens. The cockerel has a green iridescance to his tail feathers. and if you look closely at the birds on the third photo in large you can see that the black spots are sort of love heart shaped or you could desribe it as buttcheeks as well. I also would like to know if anyone is interested in these birds to see wetherer I should continue to breed them.

Regards,
Archie

View attachment 3351059View attachment 3351060View attachment 3351061
Very pretty

Isolate these from the rest of your flock and give them their own breeding pen. Also isolate the rooster and Cull the ones that don't look the same and remove them from the breeding pen.
I used an White Appenzeller cockerel and female black rocks.
The only way you'll know if they'll breed true is to continue working with the F1's (offspring) You'll need multiple breeding pens if you decide to embark on this project further meanwhile enjoy the beautiful new hybrids.

I went down to feed the chickens this morning and had a better look at them and found that only 2 of the chickens have the love heart shaped feathers the rest are similiar to wyandottes but not as neat as wyandotte markings. The major new thing I found out was they have a semi split crown. Which I havent seen before and did some looking and from waht I can tell its not a common trait. Pictures of the cockerel and one of the females below.

1671277065900.jpeg

1671277026953.jpeg

Isolate these from the rest of your flock and give them their own breeding pen. Also isolate the rooster and Cull the ones that don't look the same and remove them from the breeding pen.

The only way you'll know if they'll breed true is to continue working with the F1's (offspring) You'll need multiple breeding pens if you decide to embark on this project further meanwhile enjoy the beautiful new hybrids.
I already have them isolated and am waiting for them to start laying. I will seperate the ones with the less desireable traits and breed them until I can reliabley get the patterns, colour and shape.

Creating a breed is a project of many years and many chicken generations.

You have to get a solid breeding population of many birds with enough genetic diversity to be healthy BUT enough consistency to be able to say that "This breed has these characteristics" for every bird AND it has to be enough different from an existing breed to merit separate breed status.

For example, IIRC, it was White Javas that were abandoned as a breed because they were essentially the same as White Rocks in all important characteristics. :)
So needs to have substantial differences not just colour. I assume pattern is one substantial diffference but it depends. so it is very hard to "create" a new breed.

I went down to feed the chickens this morning and had a better look at them and found that only 2 of the chickens have the love heart shaped feathers the rest are similiar to wyandottes but not as neat as wyandotte markings. The major new thing I found out was they have a semi split crown. Which I havent seen before and did some looking and from waht I can tell its not a common trait. Pictures of the cockerel and one of the females below.

View attachment 3351834
View attachment 3351833
It's from the Single comb and the Vcomb combining. I call those ones Starcombs since as little chicks they look like a 5 pointed star. That's kne of the traits that will be difficult to breed true

It's from the Single comb and the Vcomb combining. I call those ones Starcombs since as little chicks they look like a 5 pointed star. That's kne of the traits that will be difficult to breed true
Is it a recesisve gene? it seems that all 5 of these new ones have it so hopefully it should maintain but I guess we will find out. what makes it difficult to breed true?

Back
Top Bottom