New Call Duck Colors... what do you think?

Hallo Henk. Ik kom by jou uit de buurt (Beuningen, Winsen, Nijmegen, Overasselt...) en nou woon ik hier in Washington..... In English: I'm fairly new to ducks (at least the color genetics part), and I wish I'd been more interested when I lived in Holland... seems like there are so many more colors and information in Europe then here. Next year or the year after my husband and I plan on going back to Holland for a visit, and I plan on taking some time to check out the ducks! (I wonder if it would be possible to take some eggs home? I'll have to check into that.. If I remember right, our government is pretty strict about stuff like that). Is the "kippenjungle" your site? Thanks for sharing it, it's fun to play around with.

Groetjes,
Lisette

Henk, Thanks so much for the information. I will assume it's your site. My biggest question on this entire forum is are the two drakes, lilac or lavendar. Have you seen the colors? Are mine either?? And sorry about the German addition. Was unaware it was a Dutch calculator. :)

I am eager to hear what color you think my drakes are.

Thanks so much!
kate

cute!!!!
i'd buy some hens for my grey call drake!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif
bow.gif
tongue.png
ya.gif
thumbsup.gif

or some eggs or babys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pm me when some are available!!!

Last edited:
I just hatched two little Call ducklings that I suspect are Lilacs (Extended Black + 1 Blue Dilution and 1 Brown Dilution). Their daddy is a Self-Black, so they can't be Splashes or Lavenders (which each have 2 doses of Blue), and all of their siblings up until this point have been Blue Bibbed, Black Bibbed, and Blue Fawn.
smile.png

For reference, the other ducklings seen in the pictures are Blue Bibbed Calls and Dusky Dutch Hookbills.
June82011Hatch6.jpg

June82011Hatch8.jpg

June82011Hatch7.jpg

If they are Lilacs, the nature of the sex-linked brown dilution dictates that they are also both girls - so I intend to breed them back to their Black daddy next spring, to hopefully continue getting a nice mix of Blues, Blacks, Chocolates, and Lilacs.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hmm...this makes sense with what I PMed you. The sire of your black drake was the self-black one in with mine, and my purple duck looked exactly like these ducklings...a light coffee color, like coffee with a lot of creamer in it. I didn't have any blues in there but I did have chocolates and a chocolate bibbed, and the purple duck's bib is about the same size as the chocolate bibbed's.

Quote:
Is the question whether or not I've hatched any Chocolate Bibbed ducklings yet? No - but I've only hatched 13 ducklings total so far sired by this drake! Those ducklings have so far been: 8 Blue Bibbed, 2 Blue Fawn, 1 Black Bibbed, and these two "Lilac" Bibbed. The momma ducks are a Blue Bibbed (but she comes from a White x Butterscotch mating, so she's a mis-mosh of genetics, and she's passing a recessive White down to some of these ducklings, so that'll pop back up in subsequent generations) and a Butterscotch. I'm assuming that the brown dilution is coming from dad, since their momma's can't be carriers. Now that I've hatched these two "Lilac" ducklings, I'm expecting to get a Chocolate eventually! I have another batch of eggs due in 3-4 days, so we'll see.
smile.png

If the question is whether or not any of the parent ducks are Chocolate Bibbed, I guess I already answered that - no.
smile.png

*UPDATED - Just opened my hatching tray tonight (6/21) to find my first Chocolate Bibbed duckling from the same parents. Which pretty much confirms that my little blonde babies are Lilacs!
smile.png

duckluck - Ah! Hadn't checked my PMs yet!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Just went out in the beautiful sunshine and got the children out of the hutch. WHEN the snow thaws THIS WEEK (fingers all crossed) they will have a new outside pen like Fort Knox.

I am trying to send an email to the original owner, he had every color call know to man, though he had no chocolates there, he did have khaki, and butterscotch, and any of these combined with his blue fawn could have gotten lilac as well. (yes done that research also)

Drake (we have 2 exactly the same) Is what we are calling Lilac color. (hen looks similar, no pic available right now)
49478_dscf4323.jpg

Hen in question...
49478_dscf4328.jpg

Second hen in question... oops had wrong pic
49478_dscf4332.jpg

Back
Top Bottom