New Call Duck Colors... what do you think?

We are enjoying Kate's project over here.
Kate's question was about the Lilac/Lavendar color-what do you know about that? Share your expertise with her on that since that was her question-I'm sure she would be ever so appreciative. If not, how is your opinion any more helpful than any of the positive things the rest of us has said?

Last edited by a moderator:
I contacted the man I got the calls from... He gave me the names of the breeders in Michigan. I await an email back, maybe i can find out the parentage soon! If they are what i think they are, then i may be able to skip years 3-5 and get right to the 50% lilac 50% lavendar splash generation. I've tried 100 diff combos and not looking like lilac can be 100% but still more research to do. I got to generation 6 and there were 10 different color combos including blue mallard. Yikes! But hey I'm having fun at it!

Quote:
I think if you check the title line for this thread you'll find the question...."what do you think". I said what I thought & I stand by it. A curious, to me, notion on this board is that the only appropriate comment to a "what do you think" question is "they're beautiful".
I can't help but note how many people in this & other threads here begin their comments by saying "I don't know anything about_____ but I think they're beautiful." Of what use is feedback from someone who, by their own admission, knows nothing about the subject at hand?

It's useful because it tells the person that while said people may not know about the color, it gives an indicator that there will be a demand for it. I don't have to know anything about their color genetics to think the color looks nice and to know that I would purchase them if the right price were thrown out at me. Don't know how or if I would work with the bloodline aspect of them, but they're pretty enough to own and look at.

HOLY BATMAN I DID IT!!!!

Went back through on the lavendar splash hen, and did some test runs on the German color calculator... Mating with other drakes we have.

100% LILAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Oh, MJ! That is exciting, Kate. They have great birds over there and have a lot of the rare colors that noone else has and they're very knowledgeable! They are really good about responding to questions and pretty rapidly, too. I can't wait to hear what they tell you.
I'm on a waiting list for some of their birds(khakis to be exact) because they are one of the few breeders that has them.
That would be fantastic if you were able to shave some time off of your project! The sooner you're finished, the sooner we can buy eggs!
wee.gif

Blue Mallard? Those are gorgeous, I was just admiring them on, I think, Spaniorum's website a few days ago. All of these rare colors are so beautiful! Sorry, the Blue Mallard distracted me for a second.
smile.png

You're actually being very generous sharing the information. Many people keep these kinds of things a secret waiting for the big "tada". I love that you are walking us through this process with you-very informative and exciting.

Blue Mallard? Those are gorgeous, I was just admiring them on, I think, Spaniorum's website a few days ago. All of these rare colors are so beautiful! Sorry, the Blue Mallard distracted me for a second.
smile.png

You're actually being very generous sharing the information. Many people keep these kinds of things a secret waiting for the big "tada". I love that you are walking us through this process with you-very informative and exciting.

Yes, info on the development of colors has been lost over time this way, and just becomes hearsay and rumor. Being able to read and follow along on one is great!​

As far as what I think about your birds I think they're cute ducks....would I buy them from you as a call ducks that meet the standard for calls....either on body type or color, no I wouldn't.

The man i bought these splashes from has khakis for sale as well. They are beautiful, i had to think twice when i was picking out what i wanted, MAN I WANTED THEM!!! I'm sure they are from MJ as well. Khakis are a beautiful color, he has buff ones also.

Quote:
Lilac Splash, Khaki AND Buff all from one seller?
th.gif

I probably would have handed him the pink slip to my car and would have been WALKING away from his farm with a BIG box of his ducks in the rare colors.

Back
Top Bottom