New Call Duck Colors... what do you think?

Quote:
You don't have to pretend you're breeding SQ Calls, you ARE. Good for you! Stop being so modest!
big_smile.png

There are so many diamonds in the rough out there that are never seen.
I think ya'll are doing a FANTASTIC thing.
Kate...can you tell? We kinda like your ducks? Although I like your attitude-you like 'em and that's what matters!

If you want to raise small ducks in a hodge podge of colours have fun with it. There is an established standard for what constitutes a Call Duck & the birds pictured here aren't even close.
I see a lot of this kind of thing here. People cross breeds or varieties to come up with something "new" when what they've really come up with is a mutt. Breeding birds for a consistant outcome that follows a standard is a lot of work. Putting a male & a female together & producing offspring is easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my whole point on opening this topic was asking about the colors, if someone has any information ABOUT THE COLORS please PM me. Thank you.

If I was into little duck..without the fear of them flying away or my cat eating them I would buy them for their color, I like the mixed colours and think it looks cute. So yes, in answer to your question I like them and would buy them to have around for fun and the different colour of them.
lol.png

Kate, I just wanted to tell you there is/was a breeder of lilacs in Tennessee called Dogwood Acres.
They raised/bred ALL different colors of ducks.
If you can, maybe contact them and see about emailing them pictures of your ducks and have them tell you what you need to know.
You'll find that the breeders that raise/sell the rare varieties know their genetics/colors VERY well and have access to information a lot of us wish we had.
You're probably not going to find many people that know about the lilac/lavender color in the Calls because it is so rare at this time.
Sure hope you're able to find the answer to your question.
smile.png

Kate, I can completely understand why you are done posting here. There is a reason why I have been a member here for years and even the "old" BYC to which I posted a lot. and yet so few posts. I have found that here, it is better to be a ghost than to post. You will find some really honestly good people here and then you will turn up the ones that want nothing more than to tear you down, beat you up, and show everyone how much more they know, and how much better they are than you. I beg you, please, please, PLEASE...don't let those kinds of people discourage you from what your doing.

I have had some "judges" tell me my Calls are the best they've seen. I've had others laugh at them and not place them at all. It's just one persons opinion of your ducks. I don't believe you asked anyone their opinion of the quality of your ducks, just a question of color. I personally can't answer your question as to the "color" of your ducks. I just don't have enough knowledge in that area. I will freely admit that. Just so you know, when some people have trouble admitting that they "just don't know the answer" to a question. They try to divert that fact away from themselves by puffing themselves up elsewhere.

Sorry you've had a bad experience Kate, but I totally understand.
I too, like your pic's of your ducks, I see excellent potential there. Remember, we may not be poultry experts, but we ARE poultry breeders and without us, those poor judges would have nothing to judge.

So sad

Quote:
I don't know anything about quality or color, but these birds are pleasing to my uninformed eye. I love the black bibbed duck! I only keep em as pets, so i guess it only matters that they please me in this case. Keep at it girl!

Quote:
Where is that "Standing Ovation" smiley when you need it?
Thank you for saying what I was thinking, only I couldn't put it into forum friendly language.
wink.png

Again, does anyone know anything about the color, my main question...?????

I believe this was her main question. Kate did not post here asking, "Hey yall whatcha think of great new Call ducks?"

She simply asked a question about color. Lavender or Lilac, which is it and what is the difference? I think pretty much anyone who knows anything about poultry knows that introducing a new, unrecognized color into the breed takes a lot of time, work and dedication. Perfection is never achieved but is strived for.

Even the sugar-coated opinions were not the answers she was looking for, but rather a comment that was meant to encourage her enthusiasm for this project and promote her interest in owning and breeding poultry.

As far as NYREDS being a judge, knock your socks off. My only concern as far as that goes is that I whole-heartedly hope that he/she is NOT a youth judge. I don't know how old Kate is, but comments like that can destroy a persons confidence in themselves. The number one rule in judging any animal to an exhibitors face is that you "condem than compliment". For example: "Your horses wither is not as prominant as it should be, although he has an ideal croup and tail set."

Sorry but I don't see the point in "Calls" that don't resemble Calls at all.

This comment coming from a "judge" is a little scary to me, as any person who is said to be knowledgable about poultry should know that any specific line on birds did not start out as a perfect example of the breed. It takes a lot of time and work.
There is an established standard for what constitutes a Call Duck & the birds pictured here aren't even close.

In my opinion (lol) what is placing well at todays shows bares little resemblence to what the original standard used to be. We americans tend to take something good and warp it until it is the "extreme". It cracks me up when folks say that something is "just a mutt". Then it becomes a "hybrid' and then finally develops into its own breed. Don't they realize EVERYTHING started out as a mutt?
It's rediculous for people to think that new colors just miraculously appear in perfect show quality ducks. WTH?​

Quote:
Why is it when people post their opinion and it isn't all sugar-coated and nicey nice then they're a meanie?

NYREDS for example as judge knows what he's talking about and I respect his honest opinion than I do all the "oh aren't they so cute" posts. Are they cute little ducks?......sure but that doesn't mean they're what a call duck is supposed to be.

I'd much rather hear the honest truth whether it's my birds or someone elses.

I don't recall her asking for a critique, merely had a color question.
Had she said, " Please critique the type and conformation of my birds", different story...
I didn"t say he was a "meanie" at all, I just don"t see the need to discourage new varieties.
If you're such a purist that you think there is no room for new varieties, maybe Call ducks aren"t for you.

I think NYREDS posts very much speaks to their coloring as well as their type. It would seem from her posts that they have just let the colors run together and the different colored ducks are a result of those breedings. That is how I read it anyway. You can't develop a new color that way. Developing a new color in any bird takes many generations of selective breeding...knowing what birds came from which parent stock and tracking them thru many generations till they consistantly breed true for a color. Birds that come from willy nilly breeding can and will throw different colors of offspring. I'm sure he would welcome new color varieties as long as they have been developed accordlingly and meet the APA standard for call ducks.

I never said I have anything against new color varieties....altho I will say my white calls are still my favorites.....just that it takes much more than just putting all your colors in a pen together and calling the resulting ducklings this color or that.

Back
Top Bottom