New chicks- hoping for all pullets!

KitKatLady

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2023
Hello everyone! I am a first time chicken owner and recently picked up my first 3 about a week ago. I got a Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock, and Red-laced wyandotte (however i've only seen it written Blue-laced, so i'm wondering if that was some sort of typo?) Anyways. They were estimated to be about 4-5 weeks when I picked them up on 6/30. Here are a couple videos of them running around the coop when it was warm enough outside. Hopefully I have all pullets! What do you all think? Videos from 7/2 and 7/6- so around 5-6 weeks? Although they seem much smaller than all other photos of chicks at this age.
IMG_8838.jpg
IMG_8840.jpg
IMG_8837.PNG
IMG_8842.jpg
IMG_8848.jpg

They look more like 4ish weeks old right now, a bit young to sex and know gender for sure.
But I think the Barred Rock possibly could be a male, other two look like females as of now.
Hard to know what color pattern your Wyandotte is till it's fully feathered.

They look more like 4ish weeks old right now, a bit young to sex and know gender for sure.
But I think the Barred Rock possibly could be a male, other two look like females as of now.
Hard to know what color pattern your Wyandotte is till it's fully feathered.
Hmm thanks for the heads up on age. I had a feeling they were younger than what the person stated by looking at everyone else’s photos of their 5-6 week olds. The barred rock is confusing to me. Don’t both the Roos and hens end up having red combs and wattles? What should I look out for as first emerging traits? Knowing they’re probably closer to 4 weeks, I’ll have to wait a while anyways to see the traits pop up

Yes, they do. But the boys comb and wattles develop faster.

Comb development and barring.
Before he/she is even 8 weeks, if it's a boy, he'll probably have some very red wattles and a comb. If it's a pullet she probably won't be red until much closer to laying age.
For the barring the boys tend to have lighter barring than the girls.
Thank you!! Maybe I’ll post a photo in 2-4 weeks assuming they’re closer to 4 weeks

Back
Top Bottom