New Hampshire Red thread!!!!!!!!!

Pics

This is them as day-old chicks.
And here are some fmore recent ones:
Pullet, about 4-6 weeks old.

Sitting on the opening to their coop.

This is the smallest male of the first set of chicks I got. He's about 6 weeks old there. I named him Bootsy, b/c he recognizes me better by my boots than my flip flops. Silly chickens.

This is "Picard". He's the largest male from the first set. He's about 9 weeks there. You might be able to see his one little tail feather if you enlarge the image.

This is the little ones (younger set) pecking around my feet. They're about 4-5 weeks old there.

These are from the same set, the ones that are about 4-5 weeks old.

Just thought you might like to see them.

She is beautiful. I have four N.H. and mine don't have any black tail feathers. I wonder if they will get those after their first molt. They are 7 and a half months old so maybe that's it. Same color of red as yours. I love the N.H.'s. I think they are a beautiful bird and an excellent layer. Mine lay beautiful goldish brown eggs.

This is Pumpkin. I was told she is a bantam New Hampshire. Is this correct? I have had her 2 years now she is sweet but feisty :)

The comb doesn't look quite right to me, but that might be the angle of the picture.
Here's a pic I found in an image search for "bantam new hampshire hen". She looks good to me. I don't show, so I don't know whether she meets SOP for SQ.
th

This is them as day-old chicks.
And here are some fmore recent ones:
Pullet, about 4-6 weeks old.

Sitting on the opening to their coop.

This is the smallest male of the first set of chicks I got. He's about 6 weeks old there. I named him Bootsy, b/c he recognizes me better by my boots than my flip flops. Silly chickens.

This is "Picard". He's the largest male from the first set. He's about 9 weeks there. You might be able to see his one little tail feather if you enlarge the image.

This is the little ones (younger set) pecking around my feet. They're about 4-5 weeks old there.

These are from the same set, the ones that are about 4-5 weeks old.

Just thought you might like to see them.
Thank you for the reply, very cute babies.

I have a question. I got NHR b/c they're heat and cold tolerant and they're good layers and foragers, and it was a bonus that they actually make good meat birds as well. After we got them, I found out they're a broody breed, not like Silkies or Cochins, but likely to go broody. I assumed that not all of them would go broody, but that more than half of them probably would, so I thought they would cover two needs, meat and brooding. I was just shopping for more on another hatchery's site from where I ordered the first two sets, and that site says they're not likely to brood.
What has been your experience with HNRs and brooding?

@TeaChick I've found that my NH hen never did go broody on me. They are prolific layers. Did you get them from a hatchery or from a breeder? Hatchery stock will have been selected for laying eggs and more eggs. A breeder will have selected for clean lines and feathering and not necessarily breeding out broodiness. There are pros and cons to both ways...depending on what you want out of your chickens.

Most people want eggs ...so broodiness is not wanted. Hatchery stock may be the way to go then. However my hatchery NH hen developed Egg Yolk Peritonitis and we put her down this year at 2 1/2 years old. Too much laying without break may lead to fallopian tube infections or other reproductive issues such as EYP.

@TeaChick I've found that my NH hen never did go broody on me. They are prolific layers. Did you get them from a hatchery or from a breeder? Hatchery stock will have been selected for laying eggs and more eggs. A breeder will have selected for clean lines and feathering and not necessarily breeding out broodiness. There are pros and cons to both ways...depending on what you want out of your chickens.

Most people want eggs ...so broodiness is not wanted. Hatchery stock may be the way to go then. However my hatchery NH hen developed Egg Yolk Peritonitis and we put her down this year at 2 1/2 years old. Too much laying without break may lead to fallopian tube infections or other reproductive issues such as EYP.

Wow! Thank you for all the information!!!
I got my NHs from Meyer, and their breed profile says "Yes" for broody. I'm thinking about getting some from McMurray, and their breed profile says "less likely to set eggs". In light of that and what you said about breeding for egg production and breeding out broodiness, it sounds like McMurray may have done that. IDK. I thought that another reason might be that some breeds are so broody that they'll go broody on one egg, and other breeds will only go broody when they collect a large enough clutch of eggs. Maybe I'll call Meyer and/or McMurray and see if I can find out about those things.
I don't know enough chicken ppl in the area to be able to find a breeder. I'm going to have to find out about SOP, b/c DH and I think we'd like to become breeders. I imagine that means shows too; although I'm not looking forward to that part of it.
I'm sorry about your hen!!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom