New Hampshire Red thread!!!!!!!!!

Well talk about bad luck. I ordered eggs and of the 5 that hatched all 5 were roosters. lol

I have 5 different gals and have managed to post in each other thread, but not my NHR. I was super torn between NHR and RIR, especially since I used to live in RI and have a real fondness for anything related to the ocean state - but I read that NHR have a generally sweeter temperament than the RIR do, so I went with that. Hopefully she grows up to be a gentle lady. My gal's name is O'Hara and she is definitely the queen bee and top of the pecking order. At first it was a bit of a toss up between her and the EE I have, but one day, I noticed her pecking the toes of the EE whenever she climbed on top of a low perch and making her fall off...so I assume she's the top. She is SO curious. She's always the first one out of the brooder cage (they're in a huge old dog crate right now) and is sometimes the last to new food since she's off doing something else - but everyone gets out of her way when she comes running. She's quick to learn and pretty darn sassy for a 6 week old. She has tried to perch on my shoulder a couple of times already, I think she's going to be trouble, but it a good way. I'm loving having chickens so far!

Here's the whole gang at a day old - shes' front left - I was worried I wouldn't be able to tell her from my Buff, but she has always had a ruddy streak between her shoulders.

She's in the middle here at about 4 weeks eating mealworms.

My big girl, around 26 weeks and still no eggs!

Back
Top Bottom