New Hampshire!

not exactly sure how old. I got them August-ish and they were 6-8 weeks or so then. Not much help, sorry! My previous ones layed right around 22 weeks. Yours are probably just needing a slightly longer day still.....

Quote:
@ chicken pickin The two you have are younger than hers. I don't think any of my young CCL pullets are laying as I've seen no pullet eggs but a couple of combs are reddening up. If any of them are laying the eggs size is great from what I've been collecting but the eggs are slow going here with no lights or heat but they are all nicely feathered out again so I'll be able to really assess them for breeding set ups this spring. I'll keep waiting for that first little blue egg. My Splash and Black Copper Marans are just now 20 weeks so it'll be a while on those also but hopefully I'll get some dark brown eggs soon - really looking forward to see those for how dark they are. Think I finally have some firm decisions on who of the 11 males will be staying and who will be heading to freezer camp soon. Of the CCL's I think I have 3 that I am ready to cull. It's hard because the color is so good but they have other faults the others don't have.

@ chicken pickin The two you have are younger than hers. I don't think any of my young CCL pullets are laying as I've seen no pullet eggs but a couple of combs are reddening up. If any of them are laying the eggs size is great from what I've been collecting but the eggs are slow going here with no lights or heat but they are all nicely feathered out again so I'll be able to really assess them for breeding set ups this spring. I'll keep waiting for that first little blue egg. My Splash and Black Copper Marans are just now 20 weeks so it'll be a while on those also but hopefully I'll get some dark brown eggs soon - really looking forward to see those for how dark they are. Think I finally have some firm decisions on who of the 11 males will be staying and who will be heading to freezer camp soon. Of the CCL's I think I have 3 that I am ready to cull. It's hard because the color is so good but they have other faults the others don't have.

Thanks, I figured it would still be some time before they start with winter and short days Im still waiting on quite a few pullets to start laying. But everyday the day is getting a little bit longer so hopefully soon. I cant wait for spring.

That has got to be a tough task sorting through that many males and trying to decide which traits/ and unfortunately faults to keep. 11 males huh? Your house must be noisy lol.

That has got to be a tough task sorting through that many males and trying to decide which traits/ and unfortunately faults to keep. 11 males huh? Your house must be noisy lol.

Actually it's not too bad since they have all grown up together and the coop is pretty tight. They do make a chorus every once in a while but nothing too bad.... my husband may have a different take on this. I'm sure the neighbors can hear them a bit but the fact that there is so much distance and such a big tree break between our homes dulls the noise a bit but they've said they do not mind and in fact one really enjoys knowing the land is being used as it is.

Trying to decide between the 2 Splash Marans boys on who to keep. I think the one with the better feathered shanks will be the winner at this point.

My testing isn't due until June. I was tested last year by the state however didn't apply for an NPIP number as I was told by them that there is a new inspection benchmark. They wanted to inspect where I stored the eggs I hatch, the incubator(s), hatchers and where day old chicks were kept. I wasn't expecting this inspection. They also want it in a place thats very separate from visitors, other family members and pets. I use the dining room table for the incubators/hatchers ( we don't use this room anyway). When they hatch they stay in the woman cave for a week and then I have a gqf brooder system in the basement. I'm hesitant to put the incubators/hatchers in the basement as the temp isn't regulated down there. Bringing the brooder up would mean dedicating the whole dining room for brooders/incubators/hatchers and the room would need to be closed off somehow (2 double wide door openings, no doors). DH would not be pleased, never mind all the chick dust.

I asked the inspector about walking the dogs through the basement (the brooder is on the other side of it) to go out on winter mornings to potty and they indicated that it was no good. The dogs could track germs in on their paws but that it would pass inspection if there were a totally separate area in the basement. I've really got to work on the logistics of this one.

Not sure if everyone else is getting this level of inspection in order to qualify for the actual number. I'd be very interested in finding out if they were applying these standards uniformly.

That's very interesting, puglady. My NPIP testing was in January last year, so that's why I scheduled it again, but they did not ask to see any of that stuff when they came last January (and I did apply for the NPIP number, I am 12-222). It was just the tech who drew all the samples from the birds, and she never asked to see anything but the coops and the adult chickens. Maybe they started the new inspection stuff after I had my testing done last year?

Yes, she did say it was new. I have a friend in Maryland who's getting inspected to be a "hatchery". It sounds exactly like what they outlined for her inspection. Perhaps it was different because the inspector knew I was interested in breeding and would eventually be selling some chicks/hatching eggs. Those that I know who had the testing and received a number last year had them done prior to my testing and didn't have to go through what the tester had outlined for me. It'll be a harder test/inspection this year but if we're all required to do it to get a number than I'm all for it. If its not being applied uniformly I'm not going to be thrilled at all.

Back
Top Bottom