New Hatchery Business

yanks26

Songster
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Connecticut
I noticed that Murray McMurray Hatchery is always limited with their selection of chicks. With that said, I feel that there is room for other hatcheries to enter into the mix.

I have strongly considered this but definitely have a lot of planning ahead of me.

What is everyone's thoughts? Is it too risky? Am I missing something in the hatchery industry?

I am a business man not a hatchery guy but from my experience there is always room!great product,customer service and back up your product,and great advertising to grab a share of the product base then let your product speak for itself.
thumbsup.gif
(good planning and research is always best and write out your business plan ahead of time of course)and so on blah blah blah!

Last edited:
There are tons of small hatcheries. Being in the same state as mcmurray I can think of several that compete including Estes which is who several large feed store chains like Orschelns exclusively buy from. Across the country there are several other large ones including Ideal as probably one of their biggest competitors and mypetchicken.com which caters to people who don't want to do large orders. Mcmurray is actually one of the last places I check when looking for chicks.

Do you think if I opened a hatchery with organic chicks, people would be interested?

I would not vaccinate. Just let nature take its course. Or bad idea?

Quote:
Yes, I think people would be interested.There are alot of people out there that do not want poultry that have been vaccinated or medicated.They prefer to raise poultry completely natural.The treat there stock with holistic methods when they become sick.You have a good idea there to go on with.Take care.

Plenty of individuals hatch multiple breeds of chicken all year long to sell. I wouldn't really call them a hatchery and they probably don't take much away from the big hatcheries but some have made a business of it.

Good luck. Your best bet is to find a niche that isn't being over served and become the best at it. That way you aren't competing directly with the big guys. Sell Penedesenecas or something that most hatcheries don't have.

I would be interested in a hatchery that had organic or all natural interesting breeds that would also sell 3-5 small orders. It would also be nice to have the option for started birds of interesting breeds and not just day olds. I would pay a serious premium price for these kinds of options.

do you have lots of room for several flocks of different kinds of chickens? You will have to keep each flock separated from all the others. and ou will have to have enough of each flock so that it does not take a week to collect enough eggs to fill several orders..

or are you going to have contract flocks from your area where you can get eggs from?

what will you do with all the extra eggs if you do not have orders for chicks??

are you zoned for this kind of business?

Back
Top Bottom