New Jersey

Hey thanks guys, yeah Marsie will be the mist spoiled girl until the end of her days.

The little ones are doing amazing, and it is all because of Marsie that we were opened up to this fantastic world! Everything happens for a reason!!

Jeez, I feel like the grim reaper giving Marsie her death sentence. It's unfortunate that her genetics are against her, but such is the case. She MIGHT live, but you should just not count on it. It's terrible that people have contrived to create birds like her, all for their own benefit, without regard to the souls within. I will never have those birds. As the others said, if she goes, she will have had a great, if short, life with you. I forgot to tell you yesterday that you can bathe her if she gets too grimy. Just make sure she's completely dry before you put her back outside.

It was really great to meet you, and I can't wait to introduce you to more of the chicken lifestyle. They are a ton of fun!

Jeez, I feel like the grim reaper giving Marsie her death sentence.  It's unfortunate that her genetics are against her, but such is the case. She MIGHT live, but you should just not count on it.  It's terrible that people have contrived to create birds like her, all for their own benefit, without regard to the souls within.  I will never have those birds. As the others said, if she goes, she will have had a great, if short, life with you.  I forgot to tell you yesterday that you can bathe her if she gets too grimy.  Just make sure she's completely dry before you put her back outside.

It was really great to meet you, and I can't wait to introduce you to more of the chicken lifestyle.  They are a ton of fun!

I'm glad you were able to help her out by letting her know what fate may lie ahead. I could imagine how awful Lilnugget would feel finding she had passed, and then thinking it was something she did. Now she will know how great of a job she really is doing for all of them.

Lilnugget not only rescued her but saved her life. We rescued one of our dogs, a pit bull, and it was the most rewarding experience. Even if she's only with you a short time, it's a short happy time. And you never know, maybe she'll surprise you and live a bit longer than expected. One can hope........ :)

So apparently my town has anti-chicken laws (not that anyone in the city government I talked to about raising them ever said anything), and it looks as if my attempts to change that aren't going to work out. Because of this, I'm looking for other places in South Jersey to move to. Does anyone have any recommendations for pro-chicken towns in the Atlantic City area? Sadly our budget isn't that high, and while I keep finding reasonable looking properties, they somehow invariably end up being in trailer parks, which shockingly (according to the realtors) don't allow chickens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you, Mame, for being such a great mentor and for giving it to us straight. I feel better knowing I can mentally prepare for whatever may be the outcome. I am feeling blessed that I am able to give Marsie a better fate, but of course it comes with some sadness. Ok extreme sadness. But we are going to do everything we can for her. We had so much fun with her today on such a beautiful day. And we will use everything we learn from Marsie, and from Mame, to give our new Lil baby chicks the best life possible. :)

I'm going to a convention all week so Billy will be caring for our girls all by himself. I know he will do great, but I am going to miss them so much!!!! He promised to cuddle with them double lol. He's crazy about them, so this whole thing is a wonderful and strange new experience for the both of us. Especially in such a new marriage. Haha. First comes love, then comes marriage. Then comes chickens!!

Hey, if you wanted to, you know, "replace" Marsie when she's gone, you could get a pure bred Cornish. They look very similar to yours, but they live a normal lifespan, and come in a few other colors besides white... It's just a though of you wanted more birds in the future. I have heard that they are calm and friendly, but oh so big! I wish people didn't breed the Cornish Xs. I'm sure you'll give her the best life possible!

Last edited:
First comes love, then comes marriage. Then comes chickens!!
gig.gif

I hope that marsie lasts for you. I have seen many other posts around BYC on trying to keep cornish x alive past their usual lifespan. Try a search on the site to see. Some were pretty successful with careful management. Since she is your only older baby, you will be able to provide her with that attention. You will always know her as the chicken that got you into all of this. Just an FYI (I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but was skimming and could have missed it), if you are giving treats, be sure to give grit. It is as complicated as picking up some sand from outside for the little chicks, and some small pebbles for marsie (or you can buy a bag of grit and open it from the bottom to get the tiny ones for the chicks and the larger for her).

Back
Top Bottom