New Jersey

What is/did she incubate for you? Something good
wink.png
. The eggs are so pretty.
sunnychooks hatched the eggs I got, they were wheaten ameraucana eggs from peachick and azriel to add to my 6 EE's, I expected blue eggs but got some olive colored and grey too

The new girls survived the first night. Lots of feathers around the coop :( but no obvious wounds or blood so i guess that's a positive. Inside the coop was a mess. Straw everywhere, nesting boxes empty of straw and bedding, etc.... When i opened it up this morning both newbies were cuddled together in one box. It's pitiful. I keep looking out the window and it's just constant chasing. I hope they settle soon. I'm just so glad i got two! They are stuck to each other like glue for support.

The new girls survived the first night. Lots of feathers around the coop :( but no obvious wounds or blood so i guess that's a positive. Inside the coop was a mess. Straw everywhere, nesting boxes empty of straw and bedding, etc.... When i opened it up this morning both newbies were cuddled together in one box. It's pitiful. I keep looking out the window and it's just constant chasing. I hope they settle soon. I'm just so glad i got two! They are stuck to each other like glue for support.

Aww :( it will get better. It takes a while. And all those feathers just might be one of you bigger girls starting to molt. I have three now. And I could have made a feather pillow if I collected it all. As long as their is no blood they'll work it out. How are they compared in size?

Aww :( it will get better. It takes a while. And all those feathers just might be one of you bigger girls starting to molt. I have three now. And I could have made a feather pillow if I collected it all. As long as their is no blood they'll work it out. How are they compared in size?

My barred rock is a pretty big girl at about nine months old. They are not much smaller than my RIR or BO. I'm letting them all free range together like you suggested and they're fine doing that. I left the little ones in the run alone for a little bit because the older girls are protecting their food and water. It's really the BR that is being mean. I'm keeping a close eye on them. I still can't get over how sweet Zazzles and Mrs. Pickles are!!!

The new girls survived the first night. Lots of feathers around the coop
sad.png
but no obvious wounds or blood so i guess that's a positive. Inside the coop was a mess. Straw everywhere, nesting boxes empty of straw and bedding, etc.... When i opened it up this morning both newbies were cuddled together in one box. It's pitiful. I keep looking out the window and it's just constant chasing. I hope they settle soon. I'm just so glad i got two! They are stuck to each other like glue for support.

I'm lucky that I have such a large coop. I always put the new birds in a wire dog crate for several days and let everyone get used to each other, then let them out with everyone during the day only for another few days. Finally I take the crate away and they have to fend for themselves. Reduces the "fresh meat assault" considerably. I'll never have a little coop again, if only for this reason.

And I found two leghorn eggs in the dog house from two days ago. The wind blew the run door shut and they couldn't get in to lay their eggs. A few girls were outside creating a ruckus because they couldn't get it. The leghorns, Lucy & Ethel, where MIA so I suspected they went to find a spot. They spent today locked up so they would use the nesting box. The two eggs where frozen solid and cracked. I can't wait for it to warm up, ugh.
I'm glad Lucy and Ethel are laying for you. I haven't been on the forum in a while and I was thinking of you the other day. :)

Back
Top Bottom