New Jersey

I just rummaged through all of the surrounding neighbors yards. Random feathers here and there but no piles of them and no bodies. I'm sure it sounds morbid but I wish I could find their bodies. It's just awful. It's so hard not to put our human emotions into our pets too and not dwell on how scared they probably were. Ugh my heart hurts.

Just woke up to shreeking. Found one of my hens in the yard still alive but in complete shock and 4 missing including the eggs that one was hatching. Feathers everywhere. First night our electric fencing was off for recharging. Just awful.

Im awfully sorry. I couldn't imagine losing four. I don't know what it will do, but I can hope you can find the source of this atrocity. This makes me sad. :(

I just rummaged through all of the surrounding neighbors yards. Random feathers here and there but no piles of them and no bodies. I'm sure it sounds morbid but I wish I could find their bodies. It's just awful. It's so hard not to put our human emotions into our pets too and not dwell on how scared they probably were. Ugh my heart hurts.

It isn't morbid. You want the closure that comes with knowing what happened. I am so sorry for you and your girls.

So the one hen I found who had been dragged out into the yard isn't doing so well. She was very out of sorts today which I assume is to be expected after being dragged out of the coop. She picked at food but it was more like going through the motions. She drank alot. I just went out to make sure she went into the coop. Her crop is really full of water and when I picked her up she began vomiting. She seems in rough shape. We'll see what tomorrow brings. If she doesn't make it I'll only have one hen. I have the babies I picked up last week and I'm picking up a few more tomorrow to build my flock back up. I'm going to see if he'll sell an older hen to me to keep my other hen company in case the one doesn't make it. The babies will need a while before they can join the other group. I'll even take one who's done laying. You can only eat so many eggs!

So the one hen I found who had been dragged out into the yard isn't doing so well. She was very out of sorts today which I assume is to be expected after being dragged out of the coop. She picked at food but it was more like going through the motions. She drank alot. I just went out to make sure she went into the coop. Her crop is really full of water and when I picked her up she began vomiting. She seems in rough shape. We'll see what tomorrow brings. If she doesn't make it I'll only have one hen. I have the babies I picked up last week and I'm picking up a few more tomorrow to build my flock back up. I'm going to see if he'll sell an older hen to me to keep my other hen company in case the one doesn't make it. The babies will need a while before they can join the other group. I'll even take one who's done laying. You can only eat so many eggs!
I know the feeling! I just got back home and found my garage door open. (Kids forgot it ajar) Went to check the brooder and 2 of my e.e. chicks were gone. They were 3 wks but like you said it's hard not to get attached and love them. My 4 yr old is devastated, I told her we will continue the search tom. I went out to look some more once she was off to bed, I found traces of feathers. I'm pretty sure it was a raccoon, and I'm sure I won't be finding body parts. I'm so upset at my self, I should have checked the door.

That's awful! I get the being mad at yourself too. I knew my husband took the battery off the electric fence to charge for the night. How could I not have closed the coop door!?!? I just feel so awful and guilty. I take care of animals for a living and I didn't do a very good job of taking care of my own :( I'm trying to get to the point of lesson learned and be more careful next time and to stop beating myself up but it Just stinks. I also had to put our family dog to sleep last weekend so we're all still upset about that. Ugh I'm a Debbie downer huh.

On the happy side I went back to Jersey chickens today and picked up some more chick's. I got a light brahma (brahmas are by far my fav breed), an australorp, and a salmon faverolle. Never had these two breeds before so I'm excited to get to know them. The 5 toe thing is adorable!

That's awful! I get the being mad at yourself too. I knew my husband took the battery off the electric fence to charge for the night. How could I not have closed the coop door!?!? I just feel so awful and guilty. I take care of animals for a living and I didn't do a very good job of taking care of my own :( I'm trying to get to the point of lesson learned and be more careful next time and to stop beating myself up but it Just stinks. I also had to put our family dog to sleep last weekend so we're all still upset about that. Ugh I'm a Debbie downer huh.

ok- no more whining from me!

Quote:
I left the door open one night, too. I remembered about 1 in the morning, and went dow to find a raccoon munching on my beloved rooster's head! Massive guilt, but lucky that he didn't do more damage. Got a Pullet-shut door soon after. Best money spent ever! Now I can go to a show for the weekend and not worry. (Also reenforced my run fencing after that attack, as well.)

On the happy side I went back to Jersey chickens today and picked up some more chick's. I got a light brahma (brahmas are by far my fav breed), an australorp, and a salmon faverolle. Never had these two breeds before so I'm excited to get to know them. The 5 toe thing is adorable!
That's great! I guess people make mistakes and we do learn from them. I still feel guilty because at the end of the day they rely on us to protect them. But from now on I will work harder and provide a safe happy home. I wish I lived closer to jersey chickens, it's about and hour away. I'm going to try to find someone a bit closer to me. If anyone has some EE for sale in north jersey please contact me!!

Back
Top Bottom