New member and a chicken and turkey grower

andiejones

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 14, 2014
Atchison, Ks
Hi everyone, I am a new member to the BYC and besides chickens, I have bought three turkeys. I have some pictures and as far as I can tell, and not sure what breed they are. I want to see about breeding them and just have to find out what breed I have. Anyway, here they are and I just love them.

Welcome to BYC! Have fun with the new additions to your flock.

Hello, and
welcome-byc.gif

I have some questions to ask you: Where did you buy these beautys at?

Do you know how old they are?

About how tall are they?

How much do they weigh?

These questions will help me determine what breed they are... Im thinking they might be Narragarrett... but im not for positive.
hu.gif

I bought them at our local farm store and they were labeled "Browns". I bought them mid May and they are about a foot and a half tall and weigh approx. 6 to 7 lbs. at least the toms do. The female is a little bit shorter and weighs probably a strong 5 lbs.

The closest I was able to look up on them were from the Narragarrett line but called dark browns. I am starting to see the white stripe in the feathers but just not sure.

Andrea

:welcome

I bought them at our local farm store and they were labeled "Browns".  I bought them mid May and they are about a foot and a half tall and weigh approx. 6 to 7 lbs.  at least the toms do.  The female is a little bit shorter and weighs probably a strong 5 lbs. 

The closest I was able to look up on them were from the Narragarrett line but called dark browns.  I am starting to see the white stripe in the feathers but just not sure.

Andrea

Call the store you bought them from and ask what hatchery they use & what varieties of turkeys the store bought from them. Most feed/farm stores only stock Broad Breasted Whites & Bronze.
However, unless you've been feeding them some low protein flock maintenance from the get-go - the weights are not at all close to what BBB's should tip the scales at (and they look rather `Narrish').

Back
Top Bottom