New member in Lexington, NC (Davidson County)

Yes I have a little BR roo chick, I know I don't have to have one but I would feel better having one. We have cats in the area and the occasional fox, plus hawks every now and then so I would like him for body guard duties.

Hello all! I'm from Lexington, NC but I'm really closer to Welcome we just have a Lexington address, I'm looking in to keeping 8-9 chickens but I don't want them to be taken away! I live in a neighborhood with one neighbor pretty close by and the other one about an acre and a half away. The far away neighbor knows about my chicken plans and seems supportive, even offering to help me build the coop. The other neighbor has no clue. I don't think either one would seriously complain to authorities, but I am concerned about my roo changing that. I will only be keeping one so maybe the crowing won't be so bad but I don't want to have my chickens taken away. Do you think my rooster may cause problems for me?

Since you live in the county, not in the Lexington city limits, you have nothing to worry about. You can have as many roosters as you'd want but not have to worry about the authorities. Your neighbors may not like it but unless you live in an HOA, they wouldn't have any real recourse.

BTW, welcome, Neighbor. I'm in Tyro.

Last edited:
Hey all, I know this is an old thread, but we are moving into a house on the outskirts of Lexington, still considered in Lexington tho. Was anyone able to verify that it is okay to have chickens? I moved here from Florida almost a year ago, where I had tons of chickens and I'm missing them.
TIA

I am in the process of trying to find out county/city laws and regulations regarding keeping around 3 backyard hens with a coop in my area. I was able to find one piece of information online from the NC Responsible Animal Owners Alliance that states that "It shall be unlawful to own, to keep custody of or take care of four or more chickens, rabbits or fowl or other small animals of any one type and a total of any combination of eight." Does this translate to mean that less than four (1-3) could be kept without breaking the law? I appreciate any help in this area from experienced chicken owners in my area of NC. Thanks!!
I live in davidson county as well and I have well over 20chickens and 3ducks as long as your in the county and not in city limits you can have as many as you choose I sell chickens as well so you should be good as long as you in the county the only exception is if your taken to court by any neighbor for anything pertaining to chickens

I also live in Tyro, NC. My husband wants chickens too. I want ducks. Interested in sharing information with you guys as we come across it. Haven't started looking into the laws yet just in the talking stage as of today.
If youd like I have NPIP certified chickens and ducks I'd be happy to go over any agriculture aspect of it or possible sell you some chickens or ducks

I'm hoping to be moving to the way outskirts of Clemmons, in Davidson county NC here next month. Would like to fix up one of the already standing structures to have chickens and the ordinances are a little strange. Looks like they say you can only have up to 3 hens and no roosters? Seems weird as I'm out in the country and would like one rooster and possibly more than 3 hens?

Back
Top Bottom