New Mexico

I have a covered run (used to be a carport) with 6 inches or so of chopped leaves and grass clippings on the bottom. I water it down every other day and the birds dig down and rest with their bellies in the damp soil. It really helps a lot.

Tons of water, a fan in the coop to blow out the hot air before bed every night.

It's tough on them, for sure. Sorry you have lost some.

Egg production waaay down today, but otherwise they're hanging in there.

I wet down the sand in their run. They see the hose and run away, but then they're right back there stomping in the puddle.

I've been doing everything that I can I think, but still having some real heat issues. I sure hope it breaks soon.

I've got a swamp cooler in the coop, they have cover/shade over the runs. I wet down the ground at least once a day and even hose down the roof of the coop to help it cool. I've installed an exhaust fan in the coop. I change the water every morning, then put ice blocks into the water at about 2 in the afternoon. They have misters in the runs. Still, with all of that work, I STILL have heat problems with them. I'll just be glad when it is over.

I've been doing everything that I can I think, but still having some real heat issues. I sure hope it breaks soon.

I've got a swamp cooler in the coop, they have cover/shade over the runs. I wet down the ground at least once a day and even hose down the roof of the coop to help it cool. I've installed an exhaust fan in the coop. I change the water every morning, then put ice blocks into the water at about 2 in the afternoon. They have misters in the runs. Still, with all of that work, I STILL have heat problems with them. I'll just be glad when it is over.

Wow, it seems like you are doing everything you can. Good luck.

Wow! Sound like bumpercarr is doing lots for her girls. I haven't done anything special for mine. Now, I'm feeling bad. Windows always open on 3 sides of their small coop. (There are only 5 of them.) They have a large shade tree in their yard, but they free range most of the time. I haven't noticed any problems...

Wow! Sound like bumpercarr is doing lots for her girls. I haven't done anything special for mine. Now, I'm feeling bad. Windows always open on 3 sides of their small coop. (There are only 5 of them.) They have a large shade tree in their yard, but they free range most of the time. I haven't noticed any problems...
Don't feel bad....mine are Brahmas and they tend to be babies in the heat....LOL.

When you say "problems" what do you mean? Panting and airing out their armpits?

Sometimes hot is just hot. Provide them ample shade, cool water, cool damp sand (if you have that in your run), and mine are always appreciative of watermelon and cucumbers (which are high in electrolytes).

Back
Top Bottom