New Mexico

Aww, that's great! Do I count ... five? What pretty little bitty ones! They're practically all grown up! Good job, you!
Thank you so much! There's... 12... I started with 7 with the intention of ultimately having 5, expecting a few cockerels... Well, I'm sure you know what happened.

2 easter eggers, 3 barred rock, and 2 cuckoo maran who are about a month old, I reckon. 5 white leghorn who are 3 weeks. The leghorns are so precocious! They're the ones that were eagerly, happily flying out of the brooder. That was a 4ft welded wire fence around a kiddie pool! Relax, ladies! Enjoy chickhood while it lasts. Oh well.

Fun! Sounds like a nice mixed group. I have EEs, Dominiques (rather than BR bc of the big floppy combs, subject to frostbite here), one Blue copper Marans (had two but one died, I forget why - oh yes, my SIL's dog got it.* Two French (?) Black Copper Marans ... hmm, what else? Have had Brown Leghorns, never again! Too flighty! Hysterical, fearful birds that always acted like they'd never seen a human before and were convinced I was a monster that was going to eat them, so I finally did.

* Belgian shepherd. The dog is not a problem any more, my Sheltie has convinced it never to set foot (paw) off his own property ever again. Good Sammy!

Have had Brown Leghorns, never again! Too flighty! Hysterical, fearful birds that always acted like they'd never seen a human before and were convinced I was a monster that was going to eat them, so I finally did.
Didn't you only prove them right? 🤣

Yeah, I've heard they're awfully flighty. I guess mine aren't so bad, they're as happy to investigate me when I step into the coop as the rest. When they were in the brooder, they would always rush over to see me. I guess we'll see how it ends up. I think they're such cute birds, I really hope mine aren't that bad.

So sorry to hear about the loss to the dog, but glad your own dog is stepping in as a protector. I've been on the fence if I want to get a dog... I had a huge large breed pup get dumped out here. A big farm dog mix. But she really enjoyed chasing the quail, and went after my indoor cats, so I ended up rehoming her with some nice folks in Albuquerque. I've always been worried about prey drive since then.

It's starting to heat up here!

I'm glad I got some shade cloth for the whole run, plus a tarp. At least it's windy enough that there's usually a breeze. I'm kickin it up a notch with my windbreak / shade trees and investing in dripline for all of them. One of my neighbors has trees scattered all over and I'm quite jealous of his shade...

I hope to get a nice mister that atomizes the water droplets and that I can customize to a point, but I waited too long to order it, so I'm using some cheapo one from walmart. However, came out with some awesome results.

This is the exterior of the run:
IMG_20230711_172940.png

Here's under the shade cloth with misters:
IMG_20230711_184146.png

And here is in the coop with no mist:
IMG_20230711_184348.png

I think once I get this dialed in with the fancy atomizers I got from drip depot, I could see an even better outcome. Probably helps that I have 12% humidity haha!

I hope to get a nice mister that atomizes the water droplets and that I can customize to a point, but I waited too long to order it, so I'm using some cheapo one from walmart. However, came out with some awesome results.

This is the exterior of the run:
View attachment 3574118

Here's under the shade cloth with misters:
View attachment 3574120

And here is in the coop with no mist:
View attachment 3574119

I think once I get this dialed in with the fancy atomizers I got from drip depot, I could see an even better outcome. Probably helps that I have 12% humidity haha!
Water really brings the temp down, today was roasting! 🔥

Back
Top Bottom