New Mexico

Pics
Big fat ditto on DAKs comment about buying a GOOD incubator- save your money and get a NICE one. It will save you a lot of time and aggravation! And will more than pay for itself if you are buying eggs!!!

Great pics DAK! I for one can't resist TRUE AMERAUCANAS!!! I love them! The ONLY thing I don't absolutely love is that the eggs are not as big as the crossbred chickens my mom raises! LOL But I have never seen chicken eggs as big as the eggs my mom's hens lay, so I can't really fault ANY other birds for not laying those eggs! (Mom's hens lay huge eggs that literally make it difficult to close the lid on egg cartons!
lol.png
)

Just one thing to select for. You have to remember too that the eggs you got from me were pullet eggs. Which seem to be very fertile and ship well. Better than the larger eggs I think.

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks. Blaundee is on her way to having a good flock too.

Thanks all to DAK!
big_smile.png

I would have a much larger flock if I could keep the predators at bay...
sad.png

Yeah, that will be one of the things I will work on, and yes, those eggs were VERY VERY VERY fertile! And I will say- they were larger than my Australorp and Cochin pullet eggs
smile.png

Quote:

Good info! Thanks! I will look into the incubator thing. I would want to test things out for sure.

I didn't even introduce myself before just jumping in, but we are just getting used to our chickens. We bought 8 chicks from a few areas around here, I already think one is a rooster, so I am thinking I need at least 4 more for this year. We just lost one BO a few days ago when my dog got out at the wrong time. Right now I have 3 EE, 1 BO, 1 SLW, 1 White Rock, 1 RIR. The coop and secure run area should be finished on Monday, so they can be outside AND safe. I saw a big ole hawk in the trees today so I had to bring them back in to the brooder, but it was so nice outside I know they would rather be out there.

We have a lot of coyotes here in Corrales too, so I am a little worried about that.

I just love having chickens and really would like to set up a separate pen for some ameraucanas. I already have all the fencing, and a play house I can use as a coop for more of a separate breeding area if I need to. But first things first.

We live in Albuquerque in the valley. We have hawks, coyotes, roadrunners & neighborhood cats. We lost 2 chicks out of the pen during the day when we first moved them outside. I can't remember how old they were, but they were not full grown, maybe 6-8 weeks. At that time the pen was open at the top. We have since added chicken wire over the top & have not lost any more. We lock them in their pen at night, but let them free roam all day. Our neighbors used to have chickens that they did not pen up & said that they eventually all disappeared- they think eaten by coyotes. I have seen hawks in our backyard. One of the chickens will sound an alert & they all run for cover. I know we may lose some, but they are really happy free-ranging.

Congrats! I am so itching to be me an incubator! I just have too many projects going right now.

Jenn, do your Welsummers lay dark brown eggs? Like, I said I am still looking for about 4 more chicks. I could always go see what they have at Miller's but I kind of want a little more variety... can't decide.

My Welsummers do lay a nice brown egg. I have 2 from Ideal & 1 from Privett (ordered through Town & Country Feed). I can't tell them apart, so I'm not sure who lays which egg. 2 are fairly uniformly dark, & 1 has dark speckles.
Here are some pics. First is one I took recently to show my Brabanter eggs. The Welsummer eggs are actually slightly darker than they look here. The one behind the dark one in front is actually a Wellsummer that has a coating- I get one of these every couple of weeks. It looks almost purplish.
2nd is a pic that I took shortly after they started laying. They eggs have gotten larger.

56689_img_0468.jpg

56689_img_0239.jpg

Pretty eggs
smile.png

I hope the eggs do well for you!
smile.png

Predators really take a toll on my animals, from my cats to the waterfowl to the chickens... I am just so sick of it all! I recently lost a gorgeous Cochin rooster who was IN A CRATE, in a building! I didn't shut the door on the buiding because A- I didn't think anything would go into the building because most predators won't, and B- he was in a crate, and I thought he was safe. I was mortified when I was awakened in the middle of the night to him being killed IN THE CAGE. I am still just SO SICK over it, I had big plans that revolved around him and I feel awful about it. Now my cochins (who are in a breeding pen that is secure top and sides but could be dug into) spend the night locked away into a building where the only thing that shouldbe able to get them is a bear. My other birds are in secure pens, too, and unless a bear comes they should be safe... Sigh. I am so sick of predators. but I guess it has to do with where I live, out here in the woods in the middle of nowhere.

Oh, I have very good news to report, too- I aquired 6 beautiful, fat, and healthy Ameraucana chicks from DAK on Sunday, and they are so cute and sweet and happy
smile.png
I just love them!!! THANKYOU DAK!

Back
Top Bottom