new peeps in the with the big girls

old geezer

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
cambridge , ny
put a second batch of peeps in with the big girls--working out nicely except they want to sleep in one of the nest box's huddled together { very cute .
love.gif
.} i know they gotta be afraid to get up with the big girls on the roost ...
hide.gif
..., but how do i get them to get used to roosting on bars instead of nest box--
he.gif
- tempory smaller lower roost for the lil ones ???, close up nest box s at night ???? need some ideas ,with my first chick i just pushed the big girls over for a few nite and set willow on the roost----these 3 are a little different --when i set them on , they fly down an run to the box---they just want to cuddle.
love.gif

I found that the younger chicks just didn't want to roost: we had the roosts there, we got them used to roosting, they'd hop right back down and sleep on the floor. I think it comes when they get older, so don't worry too much
smile.png

Perhaps the younger ones are just scared of the big girls: it happened to us too, our pullets used to get pushed right to the other end of the roost and sleep in the draughty area before the pecking order kinda shifted when one of the older birds died... now they are all friends
tongue.png

Mine would not get on the roost with the big girls, so I put a lower roost up...they liked it. They got a new rooster at the same time, he is down on the lower roost with the young girls. One of the older hens decided to roost with the young ones (I think she is trying to get first shot at the new guy.
lol.png
)

Back
Top Bottom