New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Pics
Nice!! Looks great. What a great idea.
thumbsup.gif

I will assume every one installing them is putting them on an exterior wall, whether installed from inside or outside.
How do these rear roll outs affect eggs in winter? Are eggs more likely to freeze with the layers that are producing?

Everyone probably has there own reason to join BYC....Your two-holer and my desire to build one, prompted me to join! Thanks for sharing...PM for plans sent.

Regards, Coop.

Yes broody hens will continue to occupy a nest even after the egg has rolled away.

The nest box as shown would have to have doors added if you want to use it in an exterior wall. I have a work area for feed and equipment storage and the box is in an interior wall

Quote:
Yes, I understand your install. I have read all threads from OP until my first post. I have seen the modifications with the door, boxes attached to the outside of the exterior wall by jalexartis.

If installed on an exterior wall, how do these rear roll outs affect eggs in winter?

If installed on an exterior wall, are eggs more likely to freeze?

Could freezing be prevented with a couple of cleats and a foamboard with a pull string for easy removal and replace?

If I'm going to build this and install it I'd like to know that it is safe all year round.
I'm planning on a small coop, 12'x16', and this would most likely be placed on the outside of an exterior wall to conserve floor space.

Cheers

Last edited:
I have another coop in which the nest box is not a rollout but for space saving reasons it is hung on the outside. When I constructed it I made the walls, floor, and lid 1 1/2" lined with foam and I've never had eggs freeze in it. So to answer you questions, it would be a good idea to insulate the nest box.

Back
Top Bottom