New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

That is really awesome!!! Okay I have one question: Is this attached to the coop on the wall or is it just freestanding. I am just getting confused befause once the hens access the nest, I know the eggs roll out the back. Once they roll, how do you get them? Is the nest easily accessible?

Thanks!

Looks great Opa, I can see the longer ramp making a huge difference. Wonder if the egg eating chickens will eventually evolve to having really long necks?
lol.png

Last edited:
Dunamis, I have sent you the plans and here is a link to the type of pad I know works and recommend. http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_102&products_id=682
Using grass, straw, or something similar will not work and will not allow the eggs to roll. While you could use the nest with no pads droppings would so effectively stop the eggs from rolling. I can see where using Astro-turf could be hard to clean, but the plastic nest pads are extremely easy. I merely rap them against something and everything fall right out.

Last edited:
Built and painted my 2-hole nest box today. I am very please with the results. Tomorrow I will cut a hole in my coop and insert it.

6145128309_a91b8db2f7.jpg

Thanks to Sam for the plan and answering questions.

Jim

The pic [from my iPhone] is also on my BYC Page and in my coop set on flickr.

Last edited:
The true measure of wealth isn't how much you gave but how much you given away.
I can't believe how much thought you've put into this! It's wonderful. I don't have the problems that caused you to build this but if I ever have to replace it this is the way I'm going. Bless you for sharing. You're the man!!!
thumbsup.gif
Sue (You still could sell the idea outside of BYC. A lot of people have chickens that don't belong to our forum, as unbelievable as it might seem, lol)

Opa, Thanks for the ideas for the rollaway design. I stole parts of your design, the angle and nest pads, to make mine and wanted to give credit where credit is due.

Also had a question.
How far from the nest do your eggs roll? It seems that the chickens are able to stick their heads or feet into the egg box and have poked holes in a few of our eggs. See the eggs that are under the nest pad that comes out of the bucket? Something has to be rolling them up there and I figure it's either a chicken or a mouse.

Thanks again for sharing.

You want to make sure that the opening is just tall enough for the egg to roll through. Some birds will try to reach through to get at the eggs. Since the average bird's neck is about 6" insure that the eggs can roll at least 8". A roll thru curtain can also help keep the hens for seeing the eggs.
Turns out, all we needed was a little time to see it for ourselves. My wife caught one of the chickens with its head in the roll out box. The eggs(first egg) rolls about 8" from the bucket, but eggs laid thereafter stack up and are within reach of the chickens. I'll extend it 4-6 inches and the problem oughta go away.

Thanks Opa,

Back
Top Bottom