New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Opa,
Your first set of roll out boxes worked so well, that I’m in the middle of making your 24” roller x 6 nestbox version for my 2nd coop. However, my measurements are a bit different than yours. (I used 5/8” inch plywood instead of ¾”, and put the top/sides together differently. *grr* I just keep telling myself it's only a chicken coop!) Anyway, what height opening did you use for the partition between the nest and the collection area? Or, how big an opening do you need before a good sized egg will get stuck?

I also decided after trying to cut my first 3 1/2" to 0" wedge, that it was much easier just to cut a 3.5" block and put it under the front of the ramp. My saw cutting skills aren't the best! I'm sure my hens won't mind... (Grin)

Marty
Salt Lake

Quote:
I'm glad that they are working out for you. I went out an measured the opening between the nest pad on the ramp and the bottom of the partition and it's 2 1/2 inches.

Hey Opa,
Thanks so much for your pictures and help. We are about to start building our roll out boxes. If you lived closer, I just might take you up on that $175 offer!
Great Craftsmanship!
bow.gif

Opa, you rock! and obvious have eggs that roll!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas and the plans you have developed for the improved roll away nest.

You, sir, are a treasure.
bow.gif

Since I have been so far behind in getting everything done your new plans are indeed timely to me!

Take care of you and yours,

Deb

I thought I'd also share...

I made a 6x roll out nest box that works pretty good. (I also made 2 doubles from Opa's original post).

I like the longer receiving area with the larger roll out boxes. Especially with large amounts of hens and eggs, because things don't get so crowded back there.
After I built the nest boxes, I ordered 12 nest pads. (the most expensive part of the project...) I thought I would try it with nest pads just under the hens, and not use the pad in the receiving area. I just let the eggs roll onto the wooden flooring in the receiving. I thought, "Cool, I can cut the cost down on my next nest box project!"...

Not so fast. After a couple of weeks, and the inevitable dust, the wood floor receiving area was dusty. When the 'wet' eggs rolled down, they have a dust line around them.

So the nest pads in the receiving are necessary if you want clean eggs...

2nd, the nest pads seems to work fine with the 'baby girls' who have never laid on anything else. But my 'old girls' who have had everything from straw to an upside down welcome mat to lay on, do NOT like to switch to the plastic nest box material. They'd rather lay on the coop floor. More work to do with those ladies!

Just my 2¢ worth!

Quote:
I'm glad you brought that up. I neglected to mention the perches that I mounted just below the nest opening. After the nest box was installed in the wall approximately 4 inches extends into the coop. I transfered the location of the bottom of the nest opening to the sides and attached a 1x4x10" support 2" below that mark. Four total. A 1x4 was attached to the ends of these supports to create the two perches.

Well Opa, I followed your instructions and am very pleased with the final product. Thank you. Thought I would comment on a couple of issues I encountered, for the benefit of others.

I painted with primer and than added several coats of gloss enamel, as the resulting finish seems to clean up nicely. Since the hens seem to prefer a darkened nestbox, I painted the inside fronts with some leftover dark brown paint. I plan to add "modesty curtains" to cover the entrances, and perches after the unit is mounted. (I copied the checkerboard pattern on the back after someone else's nestbox I saw on this site. Sorry, I don't remember to whom I should give credit.)

I ended up with a lip on the front bottom nest boxes of about 1 1/2 in, and on the top row lip of about 3 1/2 inches. I don't know if this was by Opa design, and I don't see it is an issue, but I suspect they will prefer the upper boxes since they will sit lower in them. The floors are painted 1/4 inch thick plywood, and I just have them sitting on the ramps. In this way I can occassionally take them out, clean underneath and add a little Seven dust or DE. When you are making the partitions, and establishing the size of the opening through which the eggs will pass, remember to factor in the thickness of the nestpads.

One question for you, Opa. Did you affix the nestpads to the floor ramp in any way, or do you just let them sit on it? I'm wondering if the chickens will dislodge them without having them tacked into place.
RolloutBack.jpg

RolloutFront.jpg

Schroeder I glad the plans worked out for you. I have been very happy with how well they have worked for me and wanted to share.

You wouldn't want to permanently attach the nest pads. I occasionally take them out and bang them against something to knock the droppings out of them. Also an incredible amount of dirt, droppings, etc filter through the pads and wind up underneath. I've found that I need to clean the boxes every couple of weeks. Chickens are unbelieveably dirty birds.

Glad this thread gave you the information you needed. Any transition will be stressful and will affect egg production for a few days. Personally I wouldn't use the straw since it prevents the eggs from rolling under the interior wall. A partially visible egg is susceptible to pecking. The hens will adapt to their new situation.

Back
Top Bottom